Martin 00-15 with cracked neck

bluesbox101

• Members

my martin took a tumble off its stand when I wasnt around and now it has a cracked neck.:cry::cry:

The crack isnt all the way through the headstock and doesnt seem to be too horrible.

I have a few questions though,

about how much would this run to be repaired,

and will my guitar ever sound the same again?

• Members

Sorry to hear that, bluesbox :(.

How large is the crack, and where does it start? You say it doesn't go all the way through the headstock . . . does it start at the top of the headstock, or does it start further down the neck? Any possibility you could post some pictures?

Assuming the truss rod wasn't damaged at all by the fall and assuming the crack can be fixed without removing the neck from the guitar, I don't think the repair would be too costly. If they have to take the neck off to fix it, though . . . you'll be looking at a much more expensive procedure if that's the case. You might want to get in touch with Freeman Keller or Guitar_stringer. They'd be able to help you better with something like this.

• Members

The trick is to use the right glue.

I used to be a fan of epoxy but it has a little movement that can show up years later as a crack in the finish over the repair.

Lately I'm a bigger fan of using epoxy deep in the crack/joint for strength and using either gel cyanoacrylate glue or hide glue around the edges of the crack.

I've used straight gel CA glue and thinner viscosity CA glue in smaller cracks that aren't to deep also. Thin CA has a way of penetrating into the wood where the two pieces join for added protection.

Archived