Silver Creek T-160 arrived, cursory review

gitmo

• Members

What are pictures supposed to support? It looks nice? okay. Estebans and zagers look nice too...

Well, I guess if a bill of materials, internal and external pictures of the build of the guitar and my word that it's well made compared to my other comparably priced guitars as well as my offer to take a high res photo of any part in question, nothing.

Still waiting for a list of the better Pac-Rim values.

:bor::bor::bor::bor:

At least you've made it clear you're trolling.:phil:

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Johnson Carolina, Silver Creek and Recording King were made by the same plant in China with the same specs but with different names on the headstock.

With that said, I played 2 different used Silver Creeks at a small mom and pop shop near my home (they were trade-in guitars). I was not very impressed with the build quality on the dread (sloppy glue on the braces and poor poly finish) and the OM sounded very compressed. That could be why they were trade in guitars. I am assuming that I ran into 2 exceptions and not the rule when it comes to Silver Creek guitars. Every guitar company makes a dud once in a while.

• Members

Hud, were you strumming or fingerpicking the OMs?

I think "compressed" is a fair assessment. But they're shallow-body short-scale OM's. They sound less compressed if you drive them with medium-gauge strings.

And the specs make them the perfect fingerstyle guitars.

Name a few other brands that give you a small body, short scale, wide nut, wide spacing at the bridge, sound better than the Silver Creeks and cost less than $1000.

(There are a few, and I probably own them all. :))

• Members

With that said, I played 2 different used Silver Creeks at a small mom and pop shop near my home (they were trade-in guitars). I was not very impressed with the build quality on the dread (sloppy glue on the braces and poor poly finish) and the OM sounded very compressed. That could be why they were trade in guitars. I am assuming that I ran into 2 exceptions and not the rule when it comes to Silver Creek guitars. Every guitar company makes a dud once in a while.

I read here the quality was "Hit or miss", I took a chance buying new from MF with the intention to return it if there was a problem. When I saw the gauze reinforcing I got the box ready to ship but it seems to be a common feature although honestly I don't care much for that particular technique. That and a small glue overrun are the only flaws on what seem to be a respectable solid wood guitar.

I don't have much experience but I have owned 5 acoustics and I spend my share of time at G.C. looking around. I'm not going to start defending every Silver Creek ever built, just show mine and answer any questions honestly and offer high res pictures as proof of what I say. I don't doubt there may have been bad guitars sold but I support my claims with pictures. No more, no less.

So far for $200 shipped I'm happy and if I don't keep it it will be because of the neck width or the V neck, not poor build quality or tone.

P.S. This is my first guitar with this style of tuners and I can't believe how much I'm enjoying such a small item. The shafts have ZERO play, some

of my best!

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Johnson Carolina, Silver Creek and Recording King were made by the same plant in China with the same specs but with different names on the headstock.

The factory is the same. The designs are for the most part the same. Eric Schoenberg (Martin-guitar guru and the guy who is credited with reviving the OM's popularity) said that there were differences between the Johnson Carolinas and the Recording Kings. He carried both brands in his boutique shop and three of us (two players and one pro) examined two JCs and two RKs .

The JCs seemed to have better top wood selections (AAA Engelmann vs AA) with no perceptible runout. Eric said that the tops were thinner as well which may explain why there were many cases of JCs that had a bulging at the bridge. They were designed to be driven with light-gauge strings and some players tried to switch to mediums.

The RKs (and presumably the Silver Creeks) are rumored to have slightly thicker tops to minimize problems if you switch to medium gauge strings. The two RKs that we examined didn't have as nice tops as the JCs but there were no 'quality' differences that we could find with the backs, sides and necks.

Having said all that, the JCs do have that rather unattractive MOP headstock inlay and the terrible association with that line "I'm playing with my Johnson". :p

My take on these is that they can be hit or miss. The hits are HITS and some are Martin-worthy :thu:. The misses are a mile off the side of a barn :facepalm:.

FWIW, I understand that Eastman now has guitars made from the same factory with the same design under their Potomac label. I think the difference here is that Eastman is selecting the woods for the tops on their Potomacs.

• Members

The hits are HITS and some are Martin-worthy
:thu:
. The misses are a mile off the side of a barn
:facepalm:

Describe the misses. When I did the customer satisfaction poll on AGF, the returns were due to minor cosmetic issues AFAIK.

To me, these are the perfect fingerstyle beaters. I've never encountered one that was Martin-worthy, though. Well, at least not $2000-Martin-worthy.

Archived