Silver Creek T-160 arrived, cursory review

gitmo

• Members

The guitar looks almost flawless. The only flaw I've found is some glue from the fretboard seeped out onto the soundboard around the edge of the sound hole. The bright white purfling does seem an odd contrast to the dark, rich mahogany and light spruce but I don't find it objectionable although it seems to draw your attention to it. The headstock logo is PERFECTLY executed to my surprise.

Neck, Very good to excellent. Fit and finish, other than the one afore mentioned imperfection, perfect. The visible areas inside look perfect, no glue seeping out from underneath any joints or braces.

I'll assume the saddle is the advertised bone but the nut seems to be a different material. If it's bone it's bleached.

Tone is rich and substantial.

The wide neck is a change for me and reminds me of a Classical guitar. The V neck is also quite a different feel and so these two items will need some time to adjust to and draw a conclusion about my preference for them.

It seemed to be set up decent right out of the box, just tuned the srings and I haven't found a buzz yet, and I fretted every fret. Frets are average, certainly not large by any standard.

A SOLID VALUE! The only hesitation in my mind to a prospective buyer is the scale, neck width and V neck which are personal choices and have nothing to do with build quality.

• Members

A SOLID VALUE! The only hesitation in my mind to a prospective buyer is the scale, neck width and V neck which are personal choices and have nothing to do with build quality.

I love a V neck. The Morgan Monroe I have has one. It's very comfortable for the hand.

Mel

• Members

From what I read, Silver Creek may be made in the same plant as Recording King. Not sure though.

Reading about your neck, I can't help but think its a lot like the one on my Recording King. It's a V as well and its taken me some hours to get used to it. I'm not 100% convinced its the perfect neck for me, but I'm working around it. The extra width isn't an issue for me, as much as the neck could be flatter than it is at the nut to first fret. What is yours like behind the headstock?

I would like to think I could have the neck shaved a bit but I don't know where the truss rod is for allowing it to be done. I will be taking it over to my tech in a week or so and see what he thinks. Ideally, I would like to have it modified some. Not something I take lightly though. I don't want to mess up an otherwise nice instrument.

In the case of the nut and saddle, they look like they are the same material. The colors are indistinguishable.

I too like the fret size and have had no issues with intonation. I do like the short scale for the first 12 frets. 14 is a little tight.

• Members

I think anybody who bought one of the Silver Creeks for what they're going for now, assuming it arrived in good playable condition, should be thrilled to death with it. A friend of mine got the D-170 a couple of years ago and, if I'm not mistaken, he paid something like $499 for it with the case at that time. Sure can't beat what they're going for now. I've played his and can't find a thing on it to complain about. Fantastic deals on 'em now.

His wasn't perfect out of the box either.....just a couple of minor problems that he was able to correct himself. That's pretty much par for the course.

• Members

From what I read, Silver Creek may be made in the same plant as Recording King. Not sure though.

Reading about your neck, I can't help but think its a lot like the one on my Recording King. It's a V as well and its taken me some hours to get used to it. I'm not 100% convinced its the perfect neck for me, but I'm working around it. The extra width isn't an issue for me, as much as the neck could be flatter than it is at the nut to first fret. What is yours like behind the headstock?

I would like to think I could have the neck shaved a bit but I don't know where the truss rod is for allowing it to be done. I will be taking it over to my tech in a week or so and see what he thinks. Ideally, I would like to have it modified some. Not something I take lightly though. I don't want to mess up an otherwise nice instrument.

In the case of the nut and saddle, they look like they are the same material. The colors are indistinguishable.

I too like the fret size and have had no issues with intonation. I do like the short scale for the first 12 frets. 14 is a little tight.

The back of the neck behind the first fret is the most pronounced part of the V. I'm sure it is because the neck is not as wide. There is a perception the the V softens as it approaches the body but it seems to be attributed to the widening of the neck; the V itself doesn't look like it changes it's rake.

Surprising build quality for a $200 guitar. I'm going to try to clean up the glue seepage with some MEK. Have to be careful with that stuff because it dissolves EVERYTHING.

REAL happy with the tone, but that's subjective.

Not knowing how I would like the V neck I'm going to sell it if I don't like it for whatever loss I incur. Based on what a competent luthier would charge I can't imgine a scenario where it would be better to make it what I want instead of just selling it and getting what I "think" I want.;)

• Members

Surprising build quality for a $200 guitar. I'm going to try to clean up the glue seepage with some MEK. Have to be careful with that stuff because it dissolves EVERYTHING.

REAL happy with the tone, but that's subjective.

Not knowing how I would like the V neck I'm going to sell it if I don't like it for whatever loss I incur. Based on what a competent luthier would charge I can't imgine a scenario where it would be better to make it what I want instead of just selling it and getting what I "think" I want.
;)

To me, its about the sound more than the feel...but it still has to be comfortable. I really like the sound of my guitar, so I'm willing to work with it a bit, if I don't adjust it more....

Be carefull on that glue issue...you might want to give it a little time before messing with it....maybe ask a few of the guitar guru's here what they think.

• Members

Go Team Silver Creek!

cu27163d.jpg

I'm actually surprised you liked the action out of the box. That's the first time I've heard that. Every one I've seen required lowering the action and tweaking the truss rod.

Put some heavier strings on there and see if you don't love the tone (and volume) even more. I'm using EXP17's, but a few seem to love Martin 4150's (medium lights).

• Members

"I love a V neck. The Morgan Monroe I have has one. It's very comfortable for the hand."

I'm going to give the V neck an honest try without predjudice. So far I love the guitar but I need a few months with it to decide for sure.

• Members

Go Team Silver Creek!

cu27163d.jpg

I'm actually surprised you liked the action out of the box. That's the first time I've heard that. Every one I've seen required lowering the action and tweaking the truss rod.

Put some heavier strings on there and see if you don't love the tone (and volume) even more. I'm using EXP17's, but a few seem to love Martin 4150's (medium lights).

I was expecting a poorly setup guitar, surprise!

It does need a trussrod adjustment and may be a little on the high side but not too bad. I'll get out all of my rulers and measure when I get more time, so far this is "eyeballing". It came with D'Addario's so I'll let them "ride" till it's time to change and then possibly try others. I expect to have it for a while and I'm into the Fender Strat quite a bit now so this will all keep me busy for the first part of the new year.

I'm mostly electric right now but I like the acoustic forum the best so I have to keep on topic somewhat.;)

• Members

One of the Silver Creek owners posted a photo showing the original strings after he removed them.... they were kinked and bent. The tone changed dramatically for the better when he put on a new set. You may want to consider new strings even if you don't do any other mods.

The V neck felt funny to me when I first grabbed my T-160.... like if you put your arm around your significant other (or dog or goat) and felt a lump where none had been previously. However, once I got past the initial shock, I found the V to be very comfortable and now I don't even notice a difference between my T-160 and my other non-V guitars. YMMV.

• Members

The "pronounced" V at the first fret/headstock is a mini-volute. It's supposed to add strength so the headstock doesn't break as easily.

I play finger-style a lot and the wide nut is perfect for that. The V neck also works much better for fingerstyle as it seems to accommodate thumb placement better. YMMV if you're primarily a strummer.

Solid value, for sure!

• Members

I play finger-style a lot and the wide nut is perfect for that. The V neck also works much better for fingerstyle as it seems to accommodate thumb placement better. YMMV if you're primarily a strummer.

Ditto. I think most of the bad reviews (which are surprisingly few) come from strummers. I don't like the sound of the SC 000's strummed, and I try steer strummers away from them.

• Members

Go Team Silver Creek!

cu27163d.jpg

BTW, admittedly the action is a little hard to fret and will be fine tuned but all of the guitars I've bought new to date come with the actions to the high side, I was just expecting much worse. Fine tuning may do it for this, if I have to lower the saddle it will wait until the first string change. Neck looks as good as any and NO BUZZ no where so far.:love:

Strings look very good too. They came loose but look new and "tuned" right up. Sounds pretty good, I A/B'ed it with another guitar.

• Members

Mine came strung with D'addario's and they're like new, so no reason to change.

I had to do some setup work on mine, but I've had to do that to every guitar I've purchased regardless of price. Truss-rod tweak, sand down the saddle and level/dress the frets is a small price to pay IMO.

• Members

When I got my T-170 the action was slightly high but otherwise the setup seemed very good to me. The tone seemed good, for a $200 guitar. So I didn't bother with a setup for about a month. When I did finally get it setup, I was amazed at the difference. I don't know what made the difference but it no longer sounds good "for a $200 guitar", it just plain "sounds good".

Every guitar and every ear is a little different but for me, the setup was SO worth doing - even though I didn't think it would be!

• Members

Silvercreeks are garbage. The one I had was sent right back. Frets weren't even hammered in correctly, buzzing, all kinds of problems. Took it to my luthier to have it set up and it would cost a couple hundred to get in playable condition. I don't even see how the top vibrates with all the poly on it.

Maybe you guys aren't as picky when it comes to instruments? Solid wood or not, I don't think they are better than even a yamaha fg700s...

• Members

Silvercreeks are garbage. The one I had was sent right back. Frets weren't even hammered in correctly, buzzing, all kinds of problems. Took it to my luthier to have it set up and it would cost a couple hundred to get in playable condition. I don't even see how the top vibrates with all the poly on it.

Maybe you guys aren't as picky when it comes to instruments? Solid wood or not, I don't think they are better than even a yamaha fg700s...

Mine is perfect. Simple truth.:idk:

• Members

Silvercreeks are garbage.

Maybe you guys aren't as picky when it comes to instruments?

Wow! Thanks for setting me straight. I was laboring under the misconception that my Silver Creek T-160 was a good guitar. Shows how little I know. :rolleyes:

I'm going to throw my Silver Creek into the dumpster followed by all my other guitars - they're probably garbage too. I obviously lack the ears and brains to determine what is good and what is not.

Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge. :wave:

• Members

I'm sorry that you got butthurt when I called your prized silvercreek's trash. I look forward to reading your comments a few months from now about how you traded it for something else...

You're trolling.

You may have received a defective guitar, it can happen from any manufacturer. Mine is flawless with the one noted exception as are others so I hate to see you publicly trash a brand that is a great value.

I mean, I certainly don't work for, sell or otherwise have any connection to Silver Creek and if there were anything legitimately wrong I could send it back, it was purchased new from MF.

I'll be more than happy to photograph, in high resolution with adequate lighting, any part of my guitar so that people can see you're just bored and using this forum for entertainment, not representing the facts as they are.

• Members

I'm trolling because I don't agree with you?

There's many other brands of pac-rim guitars that get it right for a good price point. I tried one of the silvercreeks and that's all I needed to find out that they are poorly made. Maybe you got lucky on some good craftsmanship, but overall they're a {censored}ty housebrand guitar that nobody cared about around here until they were selling for a hundred bucks with the rebate...

What are pictures supposed to support? It looks nice? okay. Estebans and zagers look nice too...

Archived