TommyT5

• Members

I hardly know anything about tools.

I got some locking Grovers for my acoustic
:rolleyes:
and I require a nut driver to take the old ones on and put the new ones in. But I don't know how to size nut drivers.
A 10mm nut driver would have a 10mm diameter correct
?

My (guitar tuner
:facepalm:
) nuts are hexaganol and each side is 5mm with a diameter of 10mm.

Correct. A small adjustable wrench will also do the job to loosen the nut enough to turn it easy with your fingers. Same thing when you put the new ones on. Hand tighten the nut first and then gently snug it down with the wrench. You do NOT need to torque it on.

• Members

You don't need to measure them - it will be marked on either the handle or the socket. They usually come is sets. If you are removing the nut on top of the headstock, make sure you get a driver with a hollow shaft or a "deep socket" driver wich will allow the tuner post to fit inside. The other option is to use a 10mm box end wrench (assuming you are correct that the nut is 10mm). I am not a huge fan of adjustable wrenches in small sizes like that, but they will work in a pinch.

If you don't want to buy the tools, you could take it to a mechanic and let her remove the old nut and tighten the new one. You may also need to fill and drill new mounting holes for the little screws on the back - they seldom line up when you swap tuners.

Be very careful working around the headstock - it is easy to scratch it. Good luck - let us know how you like your lockers