Crazy Heart & Gibby J-45 GAS!

Stackabones

• Members

scott-cooper-crazy-heart1.jpg

I saw Crazy Heart a few weeks ago and slowly, but surely, the J-45 GAS is mounting. Anyone have one and can provide some eye and ear candy?

I've been looking at J45ish gits that don't roll over $2K.

Blueridge BG-40, BG-60 & BG-180 -- are these the only ones that have the Gibby's short-scale neck?

Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R or AJ-500M-- I think I played one of these years ago and was impressed.

Epi AJ-200S -- this is the most inexpensive one I've found so far

Morgan Monroe M55V

Durango B-46

Gotta be more!

Let's talk slope shoulder gits!

• Members

I got yer eye candy right here, but nothing I could post would qualify as ear candy...maybe ear brussel sprouts.

P1200002.jpg

P1200001.jpg

I also have an AJ-500M. I love it, but it is long scale and it's tone is completely different than the Gibby. Not even remotely a viable substitute.

I have played the Blueridge clone at Elderly and it IS a reasonable alternative to the J-45.

• Members

I got yer eye candy right here, but nothing I could post would qualify as ear candy...maybe ear brussel sprouts.

P1200002.jpg

P1200001.jpg

I also have an AJ-500M. I love it, but it is long scale and it's tone is completely different than the Gibby. Not even remotely a viable substitute.

I have played the Blueridge clone at Elderly and it IS a reasonable alternative to the J-45.

Nice! I like brussel sprouts a lot!!!

How would characterize the tonal diffs between the short and long scales on the Gibby & Epi?

• Members

Nice! I like brussel sprouts a lot!!!

How would characterize the tonal diffs between the short and long scales on the Gibby & Epi?

I don't think it is a scale length factor. The Gibby is thick and dark with a tight thumpy bass and quickly decaying sustain. Very midrangy. What I think of when I think "Gibson tone". The Epi is much brighter and has more sustain. It too has a fairly tight base but much boomier. Where the Gibson is almost "velvety", the Masterbilt is brash and loud and less refined (not a bad thing). I hate trying to describe tone as it is so elusive, but I hope some of this makes sense.

• Members

I don't think it is a scale length factor. The Gibby is thick and dark with a tight thumpy bass and quickly decaying sustain. Very midrangy. What I think of when I think "Gibson tone". The Epi is much brighter and has more sustain. It too has a fairly tight base but much boomier. Where the Gibson is almost "velvety", the Masterbilt is brash and loud and less refined (not a bad thing). I hate trying to describe tone as it is so elusive, but I hope some of this makes sense.

I'm hearing what you're writing. :thu:

• Members

My wife and I just got back from the movie. "Crazy Heart" is not for the "faint of heart". If Bridge's performance is not Oscar worthy, then I've never seen one that was. Gonna check out the soundtrack on Rhapsody---snippets of decent music. The movie is very good. Jeff Bridges is extraordinary.

Now excuse me, while I go pour some whiskey into the Gibson's soundhole.

• Members

Really need to see that flick.

I've been curious about the Epi "Inspired by" 1964 Texan. Beautiful guitar. Nothing I've heard quite sounds like a J-45 except other J-45s, but it seems like a lovely git on its own merits. And you can always tune down & capo to shorten scale...

• Members

Hey Stack, just my opinion, but if you're looking for something like a J45, slope shoulder dread, great sunburst, short scale, less than 2K check out the Gibson J45.........used. Mine was 1.2ish and I couldn't be happier with it. (as you know, this is Bill :) )

As for Gibson, I've got two, the J45 and a Hummingbird. I'll never buy another.............. unless it's something in the L series, the J-200 series, the J-185 series, the Songwriter series.

Blueridge has a couple of slope models but they've become very pricey and if they're anything like the BR series, the frets wear fast.

I'd love to try the Epi inspired by 1964 Texan too. Great price, wonder how it sounds?

• Members

Great description of Epi AJ500M. "brighter, more sustain, boomy, loud" hit the spot.

• Members

Hey Stack, just my opinion, but if you're looking for something like a J45, slope shoulder dread, great sunburst, short scale, less than 2K check out the Gibson J45.........used. Mine was 1.2ish and I couldn't be happier with it. (as you know, this is Bill
:)
)

As for Gibson, I've got two, the J45 and a Hummingbird. I'll never buy another.............. unless it's something in the L series, the J-200 series, the J-185 series, the Songwriter series.

Blueridge has a couple of slope models but they've become very pricey and if they're anything like the BR series, the frets wear fast.

I'd love to try the Epi inspired by 1964 Texan too. Great price, wonder how it sounds?

Hey, Bill! Good to see you around. I think you need to lurk less and post more. :poke:

I hear you about the used J45, but even that is just a stretch for the wallet right now. I've been considering the Blueridge BG-40, but honestly I need to just to wait this GAS out. And I need to go out to Lucas and check that amazing wall of gits again. I'd forgotten you had a J45, but I hadn't forgotten about that Epi. ;)

Has anyone played the Epi inspired by (or original) 1964 Texan? Gotta love the name. :)

Archived