New Stuff Day

seagullplayer77

• Members

The Big Brown Truck came by earlier today and dropped off my order from Musician's Friend---some strings and a Shubb capo for my S12 :).

I tried the capo out, and at first, I thought that I'd wasted $15 on another capo. It capoed the main strings just fine, but it just muted the octave strings. I tightened up the screw and clamped it back on again, but still no dice. I flipped the capo over (so that the opening of the capo is at the bass side of the neck), screwed in some more tension, clamped it on again, and voila! It worked. A little string buzz from the octave strings, but nothing I can't get used to. Thanks to everyone who suggested the Shubb capo :thu:!

I ordered a pack of Martin SP Marquis strings for my Ovation as well. They have a silk-wrapped ball end as a sign of their "superior quality," or something like that, but that silk wrapping prevents them from going through pinless Ovation bridge :facepalm:. I ended up using the John Pearse strings I ordered on my Ovation and the Martins on my Seagull, which isn't what I wanted to do, but both guitars sound good, so I guess it all worked out in the end.

So . . . for future reference, Martin SP Marquis strings will NOT work with pinless bridges!

• Members

Seagull, you live in Chicago. That's a BIG TOWN.....don't you have a local GC that you can take your 12-string to and try on different capos until you find one that does the trick??

I, for one, could NEVER get used to having to put my capo on upside down and then still have to deal with buzzy octave strings. What's this world coming to??

• Members
Seagull, you live in Chicago. That's a BIG TOWN.....don't you have a local GC that you can take your 12-string to and try on different capos until you find one that does the trick??

I, for one, could NEVER get used to having to put my capo on upside down and then still have to deal with buzzy octave strings. What's this world coming to??

There's a Guitar Center out in the suburbs that takes a good half-hour to get to, and there's another one that's not too far away geographically, but with traffic, it probably takes forty-five minutes to get to. And the two local mom-and-pop shops don't even have a good selection of strings, much less anything else :facepalm:.

I did some more messing around with the capo, and I was able to set the tension so that it covers all the strings---without string buzz---AND I can put in on right-side up.

Archived