Good 1/2 size clsasical?

• Members

Do they exist? :confused:

My little brother has a (I think?) 1/2 size student type classical guitar. It's a terrible, terrible instrument with atrocious intonation, but I quite enjoy playing it. The sound is sorta somewhere between a guitar and a uke, and it's just comfy to sit around with in front of the TV or whatever. I can't always be bothered with the weight of an electric, and the acoustic is just too bulky to comfortably laze about with on the couch. :o

So I'm wondering, short of having one custom made, does anyone make a good 1/2 size? Or perhaps does the considerably shorter scale length make it considerably harder to make the instrument have decent intonation? Or does no one bother because 1/2 sizes and whatnot are only ever beginner type instruments? :confused:

• Members

How much are you willing to spend?

Does it have to be 1/2 size (21" scale) or is 3/4 (23.3") good? If 3/4, I've found the Yamaha CGS103A, the Yamaha CS40 and the post-2007 Cordoba Cadet (sometimes spelled Cadete) to be good in the low-budget range. The Cadet has a solid cedar top.

• Members

I've never tried a 1/2 size, but I have a Yamaha CS40 (3/4 size) that's pretty decent for no more than it cost. I wasn't even looking to buy one when I saw it at a "close out" price and just couldn't leave it hanging on the wall at Guitar Center.......got it for $74.95.....about $45 less than it normally goes for. I put high tension strings on it and use it out on the back porch. I wouldn't call the intonation "perfect" on it.......but then, I don't think any of them are PERFECT! It sounds good enough to me.......it's just a nice little fun type guitar.....I don't play any classical music on it.......I play more blues type songs on it than anything else. I'd recommend it.

• Members
What about a mini maton? Your in Melbourne no probs getting one there:thu:

Yeah, I thought of the Mini Matons, but aren't they full scale just with a smaller body? They're also steel string, whereas I wanted a nylon for this. I know someone who said he's getting them to make him a 7-string Mini. :love:

But yeah, I'm not expecting perfect intonation (or perfect as far as guitar goes anyway), but my lil brother's cheapie just really is atrocious in that regard. :lol:

Might have to look around at some Yamahas then by the sounds of it. Thanks for the help. :)

• Members
Yeah, I thought of the Mini Matons, but aren't they full scale just with a smaller body? They're also steel string, whereas I wanted a nylon for this. I know someone who said he's getting them to make him a 7-string Mini. :love:

Sorry, yeah I realised after that it was a classical your after, excuse me have a bit of a cold and not feeling so flash.
I also have a Yamaha C-40 not a bad little guitar, very light. I,ve had it 15 years and its been everywhere, taken abit of a hammering, even had the headstock broken and it didn,t make a scrap of difference to the sound.
.Wow a 7 string maton, can you get him to post some pics when he gets it?

Cheers:thu:

• Members
Sorry, yeah I realised after that it was a classical your after, excuse me have a bit of a cold and not feeling so flash.

I also have a Yamaha C-40 not a bad little guitar, very light. I,ve had it 15 years and its been everywhere, taken abit of a hammering, even had the headstock broken and it didn,t make a scrap of difference to the sound.

.Wow a 7 string maton, can you get him to post some pics when he gets it?

Cheers:thu:

Yeah, I'll try get some pics of it at some point after he's got it. I don't see him that often though, and no idea when they're supposed to be finishing it for him. Said he thinks 7s are great for open tunings (he's a country/blues type guy). Can't say any of my electric 7s have ever been in open tunings. :o:idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

:eek:

Had a look for this thread on 2.0 but couldn't find it anywhere. :facepalm:

Well, I ended up getting a lil Yamaha CS40 the other day. Put some nice Savarez strings on there and... well now I can't play the thing properly until the strings settle a bit. :o

But for the two minutes it stays somewhat in tune, it plays and sounds pretty nice. :D I get the feeling this is going to end up being one of my most played guitars. :thu:

Saddle could probably be dropped a little bit, and the frets could probably be a bit smoother. Nothing that can't be fixed fairly easily. :)

• Members
Nylon strings take a while to settle down but once they do they stay in tune pretty well.
:thu:

Fist time I,ve posted for ages, just couldn,t bring myself to stay with the new format.

Yeah I was aware of it before I did it, but I just wanted some nicer and higher tension strings on there. Think I still want to go higher tension than what's on there for now, but it'll do for now. :)

Archived