D'Addario EXP difference...

danxrs05

• Members

What is the difference between the:

EXP 80/20 Bronze wound

and

EXP coated phosphore bronze wound

??????

I read the description and it says....one is 80/20 bronze and the other phosphore bronze...lol

That I don't understand...i'm french so I need your help!!! hehehe.

Thanks! :poke:

• Members

80/20 (brass) wound strings have more fundamental simple characteristics.

PB (phosphor bronze) wound strings produce more color and complex overtones.

That's just my take on it. Other posters will have their views as well. It's kinda subjective.

If you want to know the difference between 80/20 and PB strings, buy a set of both, and compare them on the same guitar.

I would suggest the less expensive uncoated strings for your experimentation.

• Members

They have the same amount of bronze. Bronze is an alloy, meaning a combination of base metals. 80/20 bronze is 80% copper and 20% tin. Phosphor bronze is 92% copper, 7% tin, and 1% phosphor.

This ^ is the difference between the two strings.

Metallurgically, phosphor bronze contains less tin and more phosphorus than 80/20 bronze. The tin content isn't set and according to Wikipedia, it typically varies from 3.5% to 10%.

In terms of sound, phosphor bronze generally produces a warmer, mellower tone. But that's subject to interpretation and personal taste. Some string manufacturers (Martin comes to mind) claim that their phosphor bronze strings are actually brighter than their 80/20s. YMMV.

• Members

This ^ is the difference between the two strings.

Metallurgically, phosphor bronze contains less tin and more phosphorus than 80/20 bronze. The tin content isn't set and according to Wikipedia, it typically varies from 3.5% to 10%.

In terms of sound, phosphor bronze generally produces a warmer, mellower tone. But that's subject to interpretation and personal taste.
Some string manufacturers (Martin comes to mind) claim that their phosphor bronze strings are actually
brighter
than their 80/20s.
YMMV.

I've heard that before too. My impression is just the opposite tho. I think it depends a lot on the guitar. Some guitars respond well to the tonal characteristics of PB strings, other guitars definitely do not.

• Members

They have the same amount of bronze. Bronze is an alloy, meaning a combination of base metals. 80/20 bronze is 80% copper and 20% tin. Phosphor bronze is 92% copper, 7% tin, and 1% phosphor.

Oops, sorry, you're quite right - although according to your figures the phosphor bronze, in that case, have more copper and less tin and overall a very slightly lower amount of (differently proportioned) bronze.

Whatever, I like phosphor bronze more, I prefer the lighter sound with more complex overtones etc - I tend to buy bronze or 80/20 for smaller guitars that need more punch (my wife's Talman for example) or when my local store has run out of ph/b strings! 80/20 are nice for Bluegrass if one doesn't want to go for Bluegrass sets with heavier bass end strings!

Archived