How many folks still tune by ear?

baldbloke

• Members

Use a tuner when playing with others. Nobody wants to hear your version of "correct" tuning. If you play solo, knock yourself out with tuning by ear.

Using a tuner on stage or in a noisy environment is often the best practical solution.

But I would suggest to you that, in a controlled environment, a guitarist with a good ear and a tuning fork can probably get the guitar in better tune, more quickly.

I started studio engineering in the early 80s when affordable tuners had been around for a few years. Most of the young guitarists who came into the various studios would have them. And a whole lot of them could not get their guitars in tune. I tried never to volunteer (for obvious ego/confidence reasons) but there were times when I just had to intervene, usually making up some face-saving excuse for the poor guy. (And then there were the drummers... Drum key? What's that? I thought it was a furnace knob that accidentally gone thrown into the box. [An actual paraphrased quote.])

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Using a tuner on stage or in a noisy environment is often the best practical solution.

But I would suggest to you that, in a controlled environment, a guitarist with a good ear and a tuning fork can probably get the guitar in
better
tune, more quickly.

Not sure what you mean by "controlled" environment, and not everyone has a "good ear". When playing with others its best to all tune to a common standard. If you're going solo, then by all means use your own tuning.

• Members

I wouldn't doubt the "more quickly" part. What skews wrong to me are the digs on younger players. There were always guitar players that couldn't tune up. And they will always be with us. Cheap, reasonably accurate tuners only made it harder to tell who they are. As a listener I find it hard not to see this as a win. :)

This notion that "something's" been lost is completely lost on me.

• Members
I wouldn't doubt the "more quickly" part. What skews wrong to me are the digs on younger players. There were
always
guitar players that couldn't tune up. And they will always be with us. Cheap, reasonably accurate tuners only made it harder to tell who they are. As a listener I find it hard not to see this as a win.
:)

This notion that "something's" been lost is completely lost on me.

This sentiment turns up in many conversations in many disciplines, all over the internets.

I am a carpenter for nearly 25 years, and I use a hammer and blockplane. This does not make me better or an old-timer. It's just another way to take the hair off of the cat. I also use new power tools. I pick the right tool for the job.

Archived