Gibson - Value for money?

baldbloke

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jeez, dude :poke: Dial it back a notch.

Your post is chocked full of just as much opinion as anyone else's is. Saying that Gibsons sound good isn't a fact. Saying that Gibson's QC is just as good as everyone else's isn't a fact either unless you've got some numbers to back it up.

And the nice thing is, you're entitled to hold those opinions
:thu:
. But I---and everyone else on the forum---is entitled to their opinions as well. Refuting other opinions and stating yours as a matter of fact is just plain rude
:idk:

I'm sorry....:(

But hey, seriously, is it rude to call into question a blanket statement that they are all inconsistent? Yeah, I go about it in a somewhat sarcastic way, but I figure you're mostly all adult enough not to take some guy on the forum tooooo seriously, especially me, ferchrissake!!:wave: Besides, when someone says QC is poor, it's up to the original poster to back that up with numbers, not me, just sayin'..

Totamus, I'm really not a Gibson "fan", other than I love the old 00, and the new ones. My partner has a Songwriter Deluxe, and it's not one of my favorites. I like smaller bodied guitars generally speaking. Well, the J-45....

For the most part, it's the styling I'm not crazy about. They make great mandolins to this day, and the older mandolins are, imho, the benchmark, talking oval holes, not into the F holes. The ukes of the 20's on thru were excellent, I have 2 of those.

But yeah, you like 'em or you don't. I don't like Taylor guitars. Why? Soul-less cookie cutters. And that, admittedly, is a totally unfounded, emotional, knee-jerk opinion based on nothing tangible. Which is what I believe most of the Gibson dislike is all about.

Buy one bad Ford, and you'll be a Chevy man, and vice-versa.

• Members

Great. An unmarried marriage counselor...
:rolleyes:

I deserved that... however, in my defense, I do have opportunity to play my buddy's all the time. I don't though, as I don't really care for it. It is, however, a very nicely built and good sounding guitar.

Hey, think of it like a Catholic Priest, but not a pedophile one.

• Members

I deserved that... however, in my defense, I do have opportunity to play my buddy's all the time. I don't though, as I don't really care for it. It is, however, a very nicely built and good sounding guitar.

Hey, think of it like a Catholic Priest, but not a pedophile one.

Ah, I see the problem here. You haven't played enough to find one of the good ones yet. That explains everything...

• Members

Ah, I see the problem here. You haven't played enough to find one of the good ones yet. That explains everything...

Nah, it's fine, I'm just not into dreads, like I said.

But point is well taken you rascal.

• Members

I own 2 Gibbys and I can say I've got two of the good ones. I haven't played very many that can live up to them either. I probably played 20 acoustics before I found "the one" that I took home. This one is magic, the others, were meh. As far as I'm concerned, a well built but bad sounding acoustic guitar is like a well built but uncomfortable piece of furniture. Not real useful if you ask me, unless you like the status of that furniture or guitar...

Moral of the story? Save up, and plunk down $3k+ on a handbuilt and be done for the rest of your life. Anyone who pays $3k for a Gibson, Taylor, Martin, etc. has overlooked some seriously well put together instruments in Collings, H&D, Goodall, Santa Cruz, etc. etc.

• Members

I`ve owned at least a dozen Gibson acoustic`s and have probably played hundreds.. Just like any other brand of anything, some I loved some not so much.. I`ve never had one crack immediately like my new Martin just did though..

That's not a crack, it just developed a new smile, it's so happy to be with you!

Archived