Me thinks me wants an Ookoolele

panhandler

• Members

I've been reading these Uke threads here and other places for the past several months, and I think I want to take the leap and pick up something in the $200-300 range. I've checked out the chord books and it looks like fun.

I "think" I want something koa in Concert or Tenor size. Soprano seems small and Baritone too big.

So recommend me some ookooleles kids, Whats hot... watchu got? :)

• Members

I have a 1930-something Martin style 0 that my dad picked up at an estate sale and I've never learned to play. But in two weeks my local mom and pop music store is having a beginners uke class and they promise me I'll be shreddin'.

Consider a StewMac kit?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Ukulele_Kits/Tenor_Ukulele_Kit.html

• Members

In that price range, it will depend on what size you prefer. I'd recommend a Kala or a Lanikai for starters.

You might also want to join the forum at UkuleleUnderground.com and review their shopping advice for beginners. Those will probably answer most of your questions.

• Members

Oh Freeman... I just looked at the kits and I think I prefer instant gratification :) I could buy one, build it, screw it up and be out $150 :)

I'm liken' these koa models.. The Kala KA-KC, the Lanakai CK-C, NK-C and maybe the LCD-C.

Why do I want Koa? Does anyone know? Never had any before. I think maybe it makes the uke seem more authentic? And if ya gonna get Koa... Solid top right?

Thanks Gvlog... I'll slide over there tomorra :thu:

• Members

At your budget, you'd only get an all-laminate koa. You could get an all-solid koa from a relatively unknown luthier on Hawaii for about $450 or from one of the famous shops for just under $1k.

I wouldn't touch any of the cheap koa ukes from Taiwan or Vietnam on eBay. I've read lots of quality control complaints.

IMHO, just start out in the same sensible way we do with guitars. (1) Get a well-built but inexpensive instrument, (2) hone your chops and build your repertoire, (3) take your time playing more instruments and learning what qualities you want, and (4) save-up for when your instrument comes your way.

• Members

I got the bug after a trip to Hawaii last year (free Uke lessons).

Got an all-solid Kala soprano. Yeah, it's small, but that's what makes an uke sound like an uke.

It was around $300, and the tone of the solid Koa was a noticeable improvement over a lam Kala.

2s8i9at.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the advice so far... Well received! One problem I have is there are no ukes around here to demo. So I can't do any A-B'ing. And reviews aren't always accurate. I'm gonna look at the solid wood used selection on fleabay this morning. I can up my price range a lil if needed.

• Members

Musicguymic, eBay. I've had several transactions with Mike, found him to be very helpful, and sells a good uke at a good price.

Stay away from the Vietnamese/Taiwan ukes, as was mentioned. They don't have any volume, and as an added bonus to that, the tops and necks may warp. But they are photogenic, aren't they?

Ohana are decent Asian ukes.

I have looked at musicguymics store. He's def in the running. I don't know why, but I love researching and discovering new things. I might enjoy the hunt more than the kill :)

:idea: Now if one of you fine friends of mine happen to have one available, DON'T be scared to speak up :thu:

• Members

Got an all-solid Kala soprano. Yeah, it's small, but that's what makes an uke sound like an uke.

It was around $300, and the tone of the solid Koa was a noticeable improvement over a lam Kala.

2s8i9at.jpg

That's purty! :thu: I want a purty one too! :)

• Members

2s8i9at.jpg

This Kala solid koa uke was a limited run and MusicGuyMic actually had a few of them. I don't know if he still does.

Ohana has one koa model with laminated back and sides, solid koa top that is a good price. They also have two solid koa models... the CK-300G is pretty minimalist and produces a nice sound. I have one that I reviewed for Ukulele Player Magazine. The CK-350G is a really fancy version for about seven bills. It is beautiful. Over the OP budget, but beautiful. I prefer the 300G since I like the koa without as much bling.

• Members

This Kala solid koa uke was a limited run and MusicGuyMic actually had a few of them. I don't know if he still does.

Ohana has one koa model with laminated back and sides, solid koa top that is a good price. They also have two solid koa models... the CK-300G is pretty minimalist and produces a nice sound. I have one that I reviewed for Ukulele Player Magazine. The CK-350G is a really fancy version for about seven bills. It is beautiful. Over the OP budget, but beautiful. I prefer the 300G since I like the koa without as much bling.

I saw that 350G and shes a beaut! :love:

• Members

I have a 1930-something Martin style 0 that my dad picked up at an estate sale and I've never learned to play. But in two weeks my local mom and pop music store is having a beginners uke class and they promise me I'll be shreddin'.

Consider a StewMac kit?

Freeman, you ALREADY know how to play the uke - you just don't realise it!

Standard tuning for ukes is GCEA - the same as the DGBE string on your guitar - just 5 semitones higher. All the chords you know for guitar apply to the uke - just transpose their key!

Archived