I think I only like Acoustics...

skdmrklcy

• Members

Hold on to your money and learn to play on your acoustic first, then go back and try again. At this time you don't need another acoustic, and it would be rather silly to deny yourself the large range of sounds available to you through an electric. If you're unhappy with your guitar, take it back, but it would be premature to go acoustic exclusive just yet, especially if it's due to a lack of playing ability and experience, which I suspect is the case if you just recently got your first guitar. Getting the right tone is a skill.

Maybe look at a semi-hollow/hollow body?

• Members

As a electric guitarist, for me sound is always hard to imitate, It really calls for very nice, high quality gear like my 200 watt, Marshall, or my Mesa Boogie 400 watt amp. If you have very nice effects and a cheap amp sound can't always be expected of, at least thats my perspective.

But--high wattage and great bulk/weight NOT necessary, if you're not playing big rooms. I have a Peavey Classic 20 tube amp, bought used a few yrs ago for $90, and it has very sweet sound. Small and portable; single 10" speaker. No effects at all--no reverb even. But fantastic clean-to-dirty tonal range by changing the volume/gain mix. And of course my Strat is a factor...a very versatile guitar, as a Tele is.

• Members

I am not swearing it off forever mind you, I know a lot of it is not knowing what I am doing when it comes to setting up the amp. The one I have works well though with presets loaded from the computer. I would prefer knobs and such but that seems out of the price range that I will spend for that at the moment.

I think I am going to go for a smaller bodied Acoustic so I can have something to move around so I am more apt to practice. My wife could also use it if the need strikes her as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

It's funny because I thought of this the other day.

I had a Jasmine Acoustic and 2 MIM Teles (one modded into an Esquire) never played the Acoustic. Sold the Tele and the Jasmine and got a Simon and Patrick Parlor and now the Esquire never gets played. I know some people may say oh it's just because it's your newest one or whatever but I like the fact that with an Acoustic you don't have to worry about an amp. In fact I've got my eye on a few other Parlors ATM.

In case you haven't noticed yes I love Parlors but that's another topic.

• Members

I have had lots of electric guitars over the years. when I record, I have often ended up playing the lead guitar breaks myself. I also love jazz chordings and syncopated rhythms. Those are made for electric guitars (think old Doobie Brothers, for example).

What I have now is a Hofner CT "Club Guitar" which is a semi-hollow-bodied axe that features a single-cutaway body style and tobacco sunburst finish. The tone is incredible and the neck is really sweet. I fell in love with my new Hofner bass, so, I turned around and bought the electric guitar to go with it. Now, if I want to play some jazz or blues, this is a great choice for the task.

ct_club2.jpg

• Members

I like them all. I go through stints. I'll be on an acoustic kick for a month or so, then play electrics almost exclusively for a while. I have a handfull of each. Different disciplines, as somebody mentioned. I'm setting pretty good on quality electrics and could actually let one or two go to fund a better acoustic.

I recently got a tricone... yet another discipline. I need to spend more time with it and get better with a slide... that's where she shines and I love the old slidin' blues stuff. My acoustics are mostly low-budget models and I still want to get a mid-sized Martin with 1 3/4 spacing for fingerpickin', and it will cover more bases.

They're like music-making 'tools'. Not one wrench, even an adjustable one, is the perfect tool for all jobs.

That said, if I had so sell all of my stuff except one guitar... I'd keep an acoustic.

• Members
I like them all. I go through stints. I'll be on an acoustic kick for a month or so, then play electrics almost exclusively for a while. I have a handfull of each. Different disciplines, as somebody mentioned. I'm setting pretty good on quality electrics and could actually let one or two go to fund a better acoustic.

I recently got a tricone... yet another discipline. I need to spend more time with it and get better with a slide... that's where she shines and I love the old slidin' blues stuff. My acoustics are mostly low-budget models and I still want to get a mid-sized Martin with 1 3/4 spacing for fingerpickin', and it will cover more bases.

They're like music-making 'tools'. Not one wrench, even an adjustable one, is the perfect tool for all jobs.

That said, if I had so sell all of my stuff except one guitar... I'd keep an acoustic.

This ^^

Though my primary gits are acoustic, I can't resist playing hubby's electrics. A Strat is a whole different critter than what I'm used to and I think learning the different techniques makes me a better player overall.

However, for me the most irresistible electric in our family is hubby's Dano 12-er. I am completely in love with the sound of it. :love:

SN850122.jpg

Archived