yamaha fg 300 adjustable bridge?

dobrocop

• Members

Someone I knew in college had either one of those or a very similar model. It was made in the early '70's ('73 or so). If yours is the same guitar and vintage, it probably has issues related to age. Plus, the adjustable bridge isn't doing the guitar's tone any favors. First, check the neck angle. Take a straightedge (18" or so) and lay it between the 3rd and 4th strings. Run it all the way to the bridge. If it hits at the top of the bridge, the neck angle is fine. If it hits significantly below the top of the bridge, your guitar needs a "neck reset," an expensive procedure that's virtually impossible to do on a Yamaha due to the glue they use. (http://www.frets.com/fretspages/musician/guitar/setup/neckangle/neckangle.html.)

You can remove the adjustable part of the bridge and put a bone saddle and a couple of strips of rosewood or ebony in its place. A competent tech can do this for you if you're not handy. However, if the neck angle is bad it might not be worth the effort, IMHO.

• Members

Hi Deepend, this is 1968-69 model,iits the real thing and in GREAT condition exept for the Original adjustable bridge having been replaced with a standard Saddle,.its a great sounding guitar and one of the most in tune all over the fingerboard i have ever played but i have enough other good guitars so this one i need to sell! so im trying to locate an original bridge so as to keep it standard,. its the RED/ORANGE NIPPON label,so i want to sell for best price i can,.do you or anybody else know where i can get this Bridge?,.thanks for reply,ted.:)

• Members

Hi Deepend, this is 1968-69 model,iits the real thing and in GREAT condition exept for the Original adjustable bridge having been replaced with a standard Saddle,.its a great sounding guitar and one of the most in tune all over the fingerboard i have ever played but i have enough other good guitars so this one i need to sell! so im trying to locate an original bridge so as to keep it standard,. its the RED/ORANGE NIPPON label,so i want to sell for best price i can,.do you or anybody else know where i can get this Bridge?,.thanks for reply,ted.
:)

You're SOL on the, "original bridge", sorry.

Let it go, you'll get a good price for an FG300 in any case, people go bonkers for them.

Archived