Anyone heard of Navarra guitars?

gmoney

• Members

I have an old guitar in my garage (at least 25 years) that looks great (all wood with inlaid wood details; steel reinforced neck) and has great sound. I've never heard of the brand "Navarra" and can find no reference to it via internet searches. I thought I would post here to see if any of the experts have heard of it; and can tell me whether it might be junk or good quality. I appreciate any feedback!

Thanks,

Greg

• 6 years later...
  • Members
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

I have a Navarra SG Custom that I bought new in 1974. Advertised as Ibanez Navarra. Most references I've seen to this brand are from Australia...my theory is that these instruments were imported for the Australasian market maybe by CBS Musical Instruments who owned the store I purchased mine from (Fender Soundhouse on Oxford Street Sydney). It had a bigsby-style trem that I had removed and I replaced the bridge PU with something or other. It served as spare to my SG for many years of playing and I still have it on top of a cupboard somewhere.

• 10 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I have a Navarra Les Paul Custom, which is exactly the same guitar as my Ibanez Les Paul Custom that I purchased in Melbourne as a teenager in 1974. Prior to 1974 Nippon Gakki were making Gretsch, Fender and Gibson copies with no badge on the headstock. Suddenly the same guitars seemed to appear with brand names like Ibanez, and the no-names disappeared. I have an Ibanez Gretsch Country Gentleman copy from that era with the word Ibanez in the form of a metal badge screwed onto the headstock, as if they'd just grabbed some Gakki stock and slapped a name on.  I suspect all those guitars were made in the same factory. They were great copies back in the day, and now the wood is 50 years old, so yes they are good.