Yamaha F-310 pins?

kr236rk

• Members

Hi,

Have second (or third or fourth :-o) hand Yamaha F-310. It seems okay but it has weird metalic-looking pins. I am told these pins have a habit of popping out on anything but light gauge strings. Presumably these are not Yam issue pegs and I was wondering if replacing the metalic pegs might improve the string-holding properties of this guitar?

• Members

Hi,

Have second (or third or fourth :-o) hand Yamaha F-310. It seems okay but it has weird metalic-looking pins. I am told these pins have a habit of popping out on anything but light gauge strings. Presumably these are not Yam issue pegs and I was wondering if replacing the metalic pegs might improve the string-holding properties of this guitar?

Thanks
:)

Stock Yamaha pins were some pretty cheap plastic ones that get bent very easily. As I recall they were 3 degree taper, but I run 5's in mine just fine. The "weird metalic-looking" pins are probably brass - many people have used them in old Yamies in an attempt to brighten up the guitar (I compared them in my pin test to plastic and most people prefered the brass ones)

Providing the bridge plate is in good shape any properly fitting pin should hold the string - remember that it is the wedging action of the balls agains the side that holes them in place. In fact, the brass pins should be better than bent plastic ones. If the plate is not in good shape there are things that can be done to fix it - most simply is a brass (there's that metalic stuff again) plate that you can buy from Stew Mac.

Pictures of bad bridge plate

http://www.bryankimsey.com/bridges/Alum_plate.JPG

and the SM thingie

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Acoustic_guitar_bridge_pins/Plate_Mate.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=3852

(btw - normally I would recommend replacing the bridge plate and slotting it, but on an old Yamie it probably isn't worth it)

• Members

Stock Yamaha pins were some pretty cheap plastic ones that get bent very easily. As I recall they were 3 degree taper, but I run 5's in mine just fine. The "weird metalic-looking" pins are probably brass - many people have used them in old Yamies in an attempt to brighten up the guitar (I compared them in my pin test to plastic and most people prefered the brass ones)

Providing the bridge plate is in good shape any properly fitting pin should hold the string - remember that it is the wedging action of the balls agains the side that holes them in place. In fact, the brass pins should be better than bent plastic ones. If the plate is not in good shape there are things that can be done to fix it - most simply is a brass (there's that metalic stuff again) plate that you can buy from Stew Mac.

Pictures of bad bridge plate

http://www.bryankimsey.com/bridges/Alum_plate.JPG

and the SM thingie

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Acoustic_guitar_bridge_pins/Plate_Mate.html?actn=100101&xst=3&xsr=3852

(btw - normally I would recommend replacing the bridge plate and slotting it, but on an old Yamie it probably isn't worth it)

Will update - thanks ;)

• Members

... If the plate is not in good shape there are things that can be done to fix it - most simply is a brass (there's that metalic stuff again) plate that you can buy from Stew Mac ... (btw - normally I would recommend replacing the bridge plate and slotting it, but on an old Yamie it probably isn't worth it)

Here's under the bridge

Yamaha-F-310-bridge-unders.jpg

As indicated (arrow) the 3rd pin (hole) from the left looks a little suspect but none of the pins appear to be leaning.

What do you think please?

Thanks

(btw. not a lot of space under there for a brass plate?)

• Members

Did you try to put heavier gauge string on it yet to see if the pins pop out?
:idk:
This would be first course of action.

Thanks: considered that straight out but the current strings are trimmed so there's little chance of shifting them around without breaking them, and I haven't got spares enough to play with anyway, so it will be a whole new set - mediums. Currently they are extra light.

It plays all right at the moment, I set it up for DADGAD tuning with capo at the 2nd fret allowing me to drop the string tension instead of raise it.

There are dings all over the place with some lacquer raising, I need to carry out a bit of DIY repair: the body / structure looks solid enough and the tuning pegs seem to be okay; neck alright; I can detect no string buzz or rattle.

You can hear it here 'phoebe' instrumental

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/rickemper

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Did you try to put heavier gauge string on it yet to see if the pins pop out?
:idk:
This would be first course of action.

Heavier gauge (12's) went on about 2 weeks ago, no problems. I always hold the pins in while I tighten anyway. If you don't do this one or two pins can tend to raise out slightly, never had one pop put though :eek: possibly the previous owner only ever pushed the pins home then tightened away, presuming that heavier gauge strings pop the pins - any pin can lift on tightening, usually by only as much as a centimetre / one quarter of an inch, but you don't want that. Start of tightening with a free finger lightly on the pin's head is what I do ;)

Thanks,

Archived