Neck Problem on a new Taylor 214CE

skdmrklcy

• Members

On a new Taylor 214CE that is in fact new but old stock at the store it has the white binding and white stuff at the bottom of the neck. Now the issue is that it has what looks like a crack were they meet like the neck is trying to separate. Is this just a humidity issue or a major deal?

Edit: Added Photos

IMGP2302.jpg

IMGP2304.jpg

IMGP2305.jpg

IMGP2303.jpg

• Members

white stuff at the bottom of the neck

Would you be speaking of the neck heel cap? Perhaps a small gap between the neck heel and the body of the guitar? The Taylor has the NT neck that bolts on. A wee bit of gap there is not necessarily abnormal. I doubt it's a humidity issue either.

How is the string action? Does the neck feel loose? Any competent tech can probably tell by a quick look if there is any serious problem.

• Members

For a almost 1k retail guitar that is not cool at all. I could see if it was a clean small gap due to the neck style. Having the binding finish cracked and separated by it just looks bad. If this is a Taylor thing that is disappointing because I love the sound and feel of it :( but could not deal with that. If it was older and developed overtime thats one thing, but not on a brand new guitar.

• Members

The bolts can be tight, and the gap can still be there. It depends on how the guitar was shimmed when it was assembled.

It's a Taylor. Go look at several others, and you will find about the same thing. Some will have a bigger gap, some may not have any gap. It's no big deal.

If you can't live with that, take it back and find something that you can live with.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

Hey I know this post was posted quite some time ago but hope the owner of the guitar is still around.

Just wondering if you ever bothered to get that fixed. I bought a 414ce used today and had the exact same crack I knew that the bolt on necks often did this just wondering if it's worth getting fixed.

If you could reply back it would be awesome.

5791769741_5ebe760af0_b.jpg

• Members

I just returned it myself. It is just filler that crack from drying out, it is not a big deal really. I have heard of a few putty compounds you can get to just stick a little more there to make it look better. Check out acousticguitar forums taylor section, a lot of Taylor die hards know how to take care of it.

Archived