Guitar to haul back for friend in Thailand. Max $700

Emory

• Members

I have my ideas, but together we are smarter than any of us alone. He wanted an Ovation, but I have suggested Breedlove. I have an Atlas dread, which I think is sweet. GC has a passport model with bubinga back and sides for $599 which seems very good, and comes with Breedlove gig bag, and they make very nice gig bags.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Breedlove-Passport-PLUS-C250-SB-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-105915029-i1474864.gc

But he is open for other suggestions, and so am I. So here's your chance to help us make the best choice.

I will be in USA in Sept. I don't mind bringing him back one. Hopefully would keep me from getting yet another guitar!

• Members

I have a Breedlove over here already, and was concerned about the unique bracing system under sound board, but the guitar has been just fine, better than most.

My negatives have been with these acoustics:

Larrivie tuners rusted up within a month

My great Tacoma jumbo... oy! The finish has come off of the sides like big hunks of sunburned skin!

Grover chrome tuners are impervious to climate eating, have on a few different brands. Gold plated get chewed on a bit, but not too bad, same with Gotoh I replaced pings on Larrivie with.

That CF guitar looks pretty cool.

Lots of Ovation knockoffs over here. Friend has US made Ovation and it seems to be doing well. I have wondered about expansion/contraction of wood top with humidity changes that might stress the interface with the plastic body, which being plastic is immune to that.

Other friend had lovely top of line Ovation 12 string that developed crack when he returned to US. So if you bring to wet climate like here, dry it out slowly is my advice.

Archived