Worth checking out this Martin X?

K3Fallout

• Members

Hi guys. I was just browsing Craigslist for fun then spotted a Martin 000X1AE. I did a search of it here, but didn't get much information besides that it is potentially indestructible and that it's probably MIM. I like the idea, considering I'd be transferring back and forth in a car and have it in my college dorm. I've been GASing for an 000 or GA sized acoustic..

The person is selling it for $200 including a gigbag I'm assuming. Based on the area of the seller, I'm thinking it's probably an affluent person that probably stopped playing it. Thoughts?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/2552225487.html

• Members

Well, I just sent an email asking for better pictures. I'll see what happens. I actually like the minimalistic look to it, and as long as it sounds and plays good I don't really care. In the meanwhile, I guess I'll see if I can find out about this Stratabond stuff.

• Members
Well, I just sent an email asking for better pictures. I'll see what happens. I actually like the minimalistic look to it, and as long as it sounds and plays good I don't really care. In the meanwhile, I guess I'll see if I can find out about this Stratabond stuff.

Far as the Stratabond goes, it's a laminate. I'm guessing that's the neck material (it is on my recent D1). For your purposes (and mine...), it's a good thing. It's hard as a rock. It will not warp or even break (at least without some extreme conditions or effort). I was a little put off by it until I realized that while a solid wood neck is the more traditional, nicer neck, for barroom gigging and late night picking sessions, I'd rather have the toughness of the stratabond than whatever subtle tonal benefits I might get from a solid hog neck.

Some people don't like the way it looks, but it doesn't bother me. YMMV.:idk:

Archived