This guys is amazing!

DarkHorseJ27

• Members

[video=youtube;I3L-cbnVQDw]

[video=youtube;kETreS-JV98]

[video=youtube;VHIx4PHM2CA]

[video=youtube;EyWggL5oEpc]

And he has many more great arrangements on YouTube. This chord-melody stuff is amazing, and it makes me wonder why I don't see it more often.

On a side note, I am now very interested in learning this style, and wondering if I should go back to using some sort of pick. He hybrid picks a lot, but I think if I were to use a pick a thumbpick might be better, something like the Fred Kelly Bumblebee. I can strum without a pick, but using a pick will give greater volume and note clarity. What do you guys think?

• Members

On a side note, I am now very interested in learning this style, and wondering if I should go back to using some sort of pick. He hybrid picks a lot, but I think if I were to use a pick a thumbpick might be better, something like the Fred Kelly Bumblebee. I can strum without a pick, but using a pick will give greater volume and note clarity. What do you guys think?

I wish I could master the thumbpick, but alas... Nevertheless, I see the logic in your thinking and it makes a lot of sense to me. If you're already good with a thumbpick, I say go for it.

That said, I think there are guys who fingerpick who could probably do justice to his hybrid picking style, but I'm not one of them. I have done some hybrid picking, though and found it to be a great approach to certain songs, "While My Guitar..." ranking around the top of the list.

• Members

This man has much talent, for sure, but his downfall is lack of dynamics. He sounds like a robot. I guess it might be due to teaching. But... players learning songs by his teaching would not be beginners, they would be intermediate. And dynamics and timing is as essential to playing a song as is the tab.

Archived