Help Please

troyri

• Members

I took the saddle out of my Yamaha APX500 to lower the action a little bit. Done this 100's of times. Measure the string height subtract the desired height. Put the saddle in a end mill and take off desired amount (this makes sure its square). Now I get no sound from the pick up at all. Any ideas or remedies? The saddle stock had the ends higher than the middle and I don't know if I have ever done one like this. Does it have to be that way?

• Members

It sounds as if the saddle base is not making contact with the UST. I don't know what type of saddle/UST arrangement Yamaha use on the APX guitars - some makers use a saddle with a recess in the base of the saddle that accommodates the UST (Ovation do this). If yours is like this there is no reason why you can't fit a normal saddle that sits on top of the UST.

PS.Just check that the UST is working OK by tapping it gently.

• Members

I checked the UST and it is OK. What I did notice is that there is a small solder point on the low E side of the UST. With the original set up the saddle with the longer ends wouldn't have been held up by this point. I wouldn't think that would keep all of the strings dead but maybe I just need to drill a small hole in the saddle to go around the solder point?

• Members

I checked the UST and it is OK. What I did notice is that there is a small solder point on the low E side of the UST. With the original set up the saddle with the longer ends wouldn't have been held up by this point. I wouldn't think that would keep all of the strings dead but maybe I just need to drill a small hole in the saddle to go around the solder point?

It could be this. Try sanding down the solder point. The saddle/UST contact needs to be very good. If that doesn't work I'll tell you about the "Mexican Clay" trick.

• Members

Ohms your guitar cable to make sure ohms appear, hot to hot, ground to ground. If your cable's good, plug it in, and touch your tester to hot and ground lead at end of cable. If no ohms show up, there's a short somewhere in your system. Don't know this guitar, but if it has a preamp, take it to a tech as each step of the troubleshooting process multiplies the issue. Probably a short at the pickup itself, these have a tendency to happen with a bridge saddle adjustment.

Did you try changing the battery?

Archived