Martin Backpacker as a carry on bag?

acousticdepot

• Members

depends on the airline. most cheap carriers have tight restrictions on their carry-on luggage in terms of size and the backpacker is too long to fit into the measurements.

most quality carriers though see no prblem with it. i've carried mine on too many flights to count.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I flew with my Backpacker just last month. Flew Continental, which is now basically United, on a round trip with a change of plane each way. Continental/United allows one carry-on piece of luggage and one "personal" item. I had a carry-on and the Backpacker was my personal item. We were instructed that items not stowed in the overhead must fit under the seat. The flights were full so there was never extra room in the over head. Once we boarded early but I didn't want to risk putting the Backpacker in the overhead, only to have some later boarder try to stuff their carry-on on top of it, in front of it, etc. So all four rides I put the Backpacker under the seat. No problems carrying it on the plane or stowing it under the seat. One leg of the trip used smaller planes that stowed even the carry-on luggage below. I asked about the Backpacker and was told to take it aboard and ask the stewardess about stowing it in an on-board closet. I didn't bother. Just put it below the seat. By the way, it's probably easist to slide the Backpacker into place below the seat before you sit down.

• Members

I flew with my Backpacker just last month. Flew Continental, which is now basically United, on a round trip with a change of plane each way. Continental/United allows one carry-on piece of luggage and one "personal" item. I had a carry-on and the Backpacker was my personal item. We were instructed that items not stowed in the overhead must fit under the seat. The flights were full so there was never extra room in the over head. Once we boarded early but I didn't want to risk putting the Backpacker in the overhead, only to have some later boarder try to stuff their carry-on on top of it, in front of it, etc. So all four rides I put the Backpacker under the seat. No problems carrying it on the plane or stowing it under the seat. One leg of the trip used smaller planes that stowed even the carry-on luggage below. I asked about the Backpacker and was told to take it aboard and ask the stewardess about stowing it in an on-board closet. I didn't bother. Just put it below the seat. By the way, it's probably easist to slide the Backpacker into place below the seat before you sit down.

And make sure the person next to you knows your guitar's under the seats before he jams his laptop bag in there. Sometimes, after the overhead bins are full, you can still get a guitar of this size in a bin near you. Just make sure you are able to snag it out of there first thing, or take control of the first person to open it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Okay ... just an update. I went to GC to buy a backpacker in preparation for a 10 day business trip ... and they didn't have any. However while I was there I tried a Taylor Baby and loved it. It was on sale for 259, so I bought one.

I carried it on to 4 different United flights during my trip and didn't have any problems. On two flights on Air Bus sized planes (3 seats on each side of the aisle), I stuck it in the garment closet in the front of the plane. That worked great. The other two flights were small flights where they check the larger carry-ons at the gate, and they didn't even look twice at the taylor and I was also carrying a laptop. One of the small flights was not full so overhead compartment space was not an issue. The other small flight was full, and the baby and gig bag was tested a little bit in a very cramped overhead compartment. But ... no problems. And most importantly I didn't need to go 10 days without playing!

Great purchase!

Archived