Does mandolin discussion belong here too?

RoboPimp

• Members

Thanks man, I was looking for something a little different and I gambled on the Morgan Monroe MVA from a reputable dealer online. I made an offer and got it for a decent price. So far, I think I made a good choice. I just ordered some "silk and steel" mandolin strings online as well, I'm looking for a warm, mellow, strummy sound- not the "banjo killer" that all the bluegrassers are clamoring for - I want an intimate experience with the mando...

I like your approuch to the instrument ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

now ... string recommendations?
:lol:

anyone? :)

well, words fail at this point. Jammed with the bluegrass band last night for the first time with this new mando and all I can say is it really is like a whole different instrument from the plywood fender I was using before. The sound was phenomenal, the neck plays really well all the way up the fretboard and it just felt so good.

It really did help me play to a new level and everyone in the band agreed that it was one of the loudest, punchiest mandos they've heard

I give the mandolin hut high praises for these guys!

• Members

I'm using D'addario's, Elixer's and GHS but all for different reasons. GHS is the only string company that packages Ultra Light, which I prefer on my resonator mandolin. Most people will recommend D'addario's. I recently replaced them with a set of Elixer's and am quite impressed. They seem to keep their zing forever.

• Members

_1389100309.jpg

yeah, at this point I'm thinking the quality of the cheap ones can rival the much more expensive imports with a decent shop checking them out and doing a proper setup. Major props to the Mandolin Hut!

I got an all solid wood, carved top mandolin in a lovely finish with hard case, tuner and picks, etc. for $349 to my door. I'm actually really happy I didn't spend more. I don't think I could have gotten much better for my needs and at a price I could afford.

now ... string recommendations?
:lol:

Certainly looks nice!

And agree a good set up can make all the difference.

HNMD!

oh, and I usually use Diadarrio med. ga. strings.

Archived