Went to my first ever bluegrass jam last night

tapeman1

• Members

For clawhammer and frailing take a look at the Deering Goodtime banjo.

Good suggestion. If I ever decided to get another one, this is the one I'd want too. There's a young lady in one of the bluegrass jams I used to attend that has one. She can make that sucker talk!! It's priced right and American made!

• Members

I started off playing R & R guitar, then got dragged into bluegrass/oldtime/gospel acoustic stuff by my father in law, who's a hell of guitar picker and does a passable fiddle, too. I have a blast playing with him and his friends, and if the wife and I go back to the farm on Friday night, I'll head on down to the weekly hoedown, sit in on guitar and bass, and let 'er rip. Playing alongside some good musicians who enjoy what they do is a great way to learn, and it sounds like you had a great time doing it, so keep it up!

One of the cool things about Bluegrass, and you probably picked up on it already, is that the vast majority of it is 3-chords (sometimes 4, but mostly 3) run in one of a few simple progressions, so you can learn to play along in no time flat even if you don't know the particular song that's being played. Getting comfy with it is just a matter of trusting your ear to guide you and learning some transitional licks to get from point A to point B in the progression.

Now I'm learning banjo basics, so I get to expand my horizons even more! My wife has an old Hondo banjo that her dad gave her that she never learned to play (she plays upright bass a little and piano quite well, as well as being a good singer), so I absconded with it and started taking lessons.

• Members

One of the cool things about Bluegrass, and you probably picked up on it already, is that the vast majority of it is 3-chords (sometimes 4, but mostly 3) run in one of a few simple progressions, so you can learn to play along in no time flat even if you don't know the particular song that's being played.

Yup. It's a lot like blues in that respect. Great for jammin.

• Members

One of the cool things about Bluegrass, and you probably picked up on it already, is that the vast majority of it is 3-chords (sometimes 4, but mostly 3) run in one of a few simple progressions, so you can learn to play along in no time flat even if you don't know the particular song that's being played. Getting comfy with it is just a matter of trusting your ear to guide you and learning some transitional licks to get from point A to point B in the progression.

You get more into fiddle tunes and that changes.. Playing tunes like Mountain Dew, and Rollin` in my sweet baby`s arms are "Over and Overs", but some tunes like Jerusalem Ridge, Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Sweet Georgia Brown etc..get a little more complicated..

• Members

You get more into fiddle tunes and that changes.. Playing tunes like Mountain Dew, and Rollin` in my sweet baby`s arms are "Over and Overs", but some tunes like Jerusalem Ridge, Lonesome Fiddle Blues, Sweet Georgia Brown etc..get a little more complicated..

Oh yes, Jerusalem Ridge. I'd say a lot more complicated but worth the effort.

• Members

I've just started trying to learn these. An outstanding fiddle player joined our little jam group and he's herding us in the fiddle tune direction.

Pretty much what got me into it.. I`ve played with a great fiddle player for 6-7 years now. I`ve taught him swing tunes and he has showed me a million fiddle tunes. Of course he plays them so friggin` fast getting them up to speed has been the hard part for me. The mandolin player we play with is just about as good...I feel like I`ve been going to bluegrass/fiddle tune school the last few years.. Bluegrass rhythm is easy enough, pretty much beginner playing especially at slow/med tempos, but fast noodling over the major scale is tough for me.. The guy I play with has won a ton of fiddle contests including taking second at Rocky Grass.. He could easily be playing in a touring band. He was the first Bass player for Hot Rize, but chose luthier school instead.

I honestly am not a fan of that twangy old bluegrass like Jimmy Martin and such, but I LOVE playing fiddle tunes.

We play Fisher`s and Big Mon at around the speed on the vids I posted.

Archived