Help: Baggs M1 with Baggs Element pickups

kylef

• Members

So my acoustic has an LR Baggs Element pickup installed. Ive now read up that it can be used with another pickup. I happen to have a spare LR Baggs M1A pickup that I usually put in all my acoustics as I love it.

Question is, how do I go about using this with the Element? If I could get these two working together, It would be a chance to get the best of both worlds from the sound hole and the Piezo, resulting in a 'truer' sound, if you like.

I know that i would have to wire a cable from the M1A to the Elements jack pin - with what, the M1's standard cable? Do I then have to use a stereo cable in order to use the M1 aswell?

Any info would be great, as you can tell im a novice at these things.

• Members

Not sure but I think the intended combination is the Element and another passive pickup like the I-Beam. Here's a thread from the Baggs forum that confirms this: http://www.lrbaggs.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-108.html?. You would connect both to an endpin preamp. My Fishman preamp is set up for that. The M1 Passive would work but I suspect the output from the M1A would overload the preamp or overpower the signal from the Element. Is there perhaps an "aux" input on the M1A so you could connect the Element to it?

• Members

I have no idea if you'd still have a signal with the battery disconnected. My guess is that if the preamp isn't powered you won't get a signal. You could try it and see. Won't cost anything. Remove the battery, put it near the strings and see if there's a signal. I'm betting there won't be but you never know.

Archived