Dobro Houndogs-Bark or Bite ?

windmill

• Members

Dobro is a spider bridge, gives a nasal sort of country sound. It's different than a biscuit bridge. I haven't cared for any of the Dobros since the early '90s and before. I think that's about when Gibson took over, could be wrong. I've had 2 older dobros that I wish I still had, but the newer ones don't seem to be on par with those.

Your Regal is a biscuit cone? What don't you like about it?

Mid range resos I'd look at Republic on eBay or Hot Rod Steel from Lenny at http://www.nationalguitar.com/catalog/hot-rod-steel , these are biscuit. I think Republic has a real inexpensive wood spider bridge, but I have no experience with that model. Hot Rod Steel either, but Lenny looks like he went out of his way to get a nice one to market.

• Members

The original Hound Dog was one of Dobro's middle priced models and I'm pretty sure was what Josh Graves played. The current ones are made overseas and imported for Dobro - it is now their budget model. I haven't played one but they are supposed to be good starter or basic spider bridge resonators. They come in both round and square neck - square as you know are strictly for lap style play, roundies can be played either lap or Spanish style (the round neck won't sit as nicely on your leg however).

As Neal say, spider bridge resonators have that long sweet singing sustain that we associate with bluegrass, Jerry Douglas, Cindy Cashdollar, Graves.... They are definitely the instrument for played bluesgrass dobro (lower case, not the brands). If that what you want thye Hound Dog would be a good choice by also look into the Paul Beard Goldtones - again, an Asian built guitar that Beard puts his cones in and sets up. If your Regal is a spider you can put one of Paul's cones in yourself.

The other main type of resonator is the biscuit bridge (there is a third, the tricone which is kind of inbetween spider and biscuit). Biscuits can have either metal or wood bodies, they are characterized by sharp attack and short sustain, loud nasty bark (the wooden ones are a bit mellower). They are almost always roundies and are usually played Spanish style with either a slide or fretted. Think of Blind Boy Fuller and Bukka White and other delta blues guys (RJ did not play a reso), early Bonnie Raitte, Dire Staights, and Bob Brozman. They are the instrument of choice if playing the blues.

The Republics that Neal mentions are a step up from the usual Asia guitars, again these are made oversea but setup domestically and are usually pretty good. Another choice is to upgrade the cone and biscuit in your Regal if it is a biscuit (I can talk you thru it).

I happen to have some pretty strong feelings about resonators - if you are playing lap style the neck and setup isn't all that important (I play a 1932 Type 32). For Spanish style bottlen neck and fretted the neck can make a huge difference - many inexpensive reso have fairly narrow necks with a lot of radius - that makes them easy to fret but hard to play clean slide. My preference for bottle neckin' is as wide and flat as you can get - 1-3/4 is good, 1-7/8 even better. Botom line, try before you buy.

• Members

Thanks for the responses

I live out in the country, down under, so I don't have much opportunity to try out instruments.

I have a Regal RD-45 spider bridge, the neck has warped and is irrepairable, so I am looking for replacement in the lower to mid price range.

I was able to try a chinese Houndog yesterday, but the action was already high, the neck heading the way my regal has gone and the woman in the shop at the time thought that was the way it was supposed to be :(

It didn't have the "squawk" of the regal which I have grown to like over the years. It sounded much smoother, almost like a guitar (Not the reason one would buy a resonator for).

I see if anyone deals in the Beard Goldstars over here.

Thanks

• Members

Thanks for the responses

I live out in the country, down under, so I don't have much opportunity to try out instruments.

I have a Regal RD-45 spider bridge, the neck has warped and is irrepairable, so I am looking for replacement in the lower to mid price range.

I was able to try a chinese Houndog yesterday, but the action was already high, the neck heading the way my regal has gone and the woman in the shop at the time thought that was the way it was supposed to be
:(

It didn't have the "squawk" of the regal which I have grown to like over the years. It sounded much smoother, almost like a guitar (Not the reason one would buy a resonator for).

I see if anyone deals in the Beard Goldstars over here.

Thanks

Even an inexpensive resonator should have a fairly stable neck, and very few guitar necks truely "warp" (they can gain some relief but that can be corrected. You do know that squarenecks are supposed to have very high action - approximately 3/8 inch the length of the fretboard.

I work on guitars, have done extensive work on my two Dobros and built a tricone. If you can take some photos and measurements (and tell me exactly why you think it is warped) maybe I can help you fix it. If yours has a neck stick like most setting the neck angle is actually pretty easy. If its a bolt on any good repair tech can do it.

Here are mine - 30 year old metal biscuit, an 80 year old spider, and my new baby, a tricone.

IMG_2509.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I ordered the Hound Dog Deluxe roundneck about 5 months ago through GC... It was backordered for about 4 months... When I finally got it the tone was fine but the setup was horrible.:eek:.. (I've seen squarenecks with better action).:rolleyes:.. The tech at GC said he couldn't fix it, (something about no tolerance with the bridge?:mad:) Sent it back and found a Paul Beard Goldtone metal roundneck... They are made in Korea but setup by Beard here in the states... Love it... They are worth the look if you don't want to spend the dough on a National...

Archived