Gibson 1960s Hummingbird Reissue?

emuhunter

• Members

Hey everybody, back again with a Gibson Hummingbird question... I was poking around eBay and found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Custom-1960s-Hummingbird-HCS-Period-Correct-Color-Adjustable-Bridge-2011-/250992422966?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a70507036#ht_720wt_936

Does anyone know anything about this particular model, and how it compares to the True Vintage and Modern Classic lines that Gibson has of the 'bird? I've Googled the snot out of it and haven't found anything concrete out yet.

The one thing that makes me hesitate to pull the trigger is the presence of an adjustable bridge. I know that's a period correct feature, but I've also heard a lot of people say the first thing they do when they get their hands on a '60s Gibby is replace it because it's a tone killer. It just feels silly to me to buy a brand new guitar to replace the bridge.

Additionally, with an adjustable bridge I'm thinking that means I'm limited in what I can do as far as installing a pickup (aren't under saddle pickups a no-go with adjustable bridges?). Is that correct? I'm definitely looking for a gigging guitar, which makes the pickup a potential deal maker/breaker for me.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

• Members

Hey everybody, back again with a Gibson Hummingbird question... I was poking around eBay and found this:

Does anyone know anything about this particular model, and how it compares to the True Vintage and Modern Classic lines that Gibson has of the 'bird? I've Googled the snot out of it and haven't found anything concrete out yet.

The one thing that makes me hesitate to pull the trigger is the presence of an adjustable bridge. I know that's a period correct feature, but I've also heard a lot of people say the first thing they do when they get their hands on a '60s Gibby is replace it because it's a tone killer. It just feels silly to me to buy a brand new guitar to replace the bridge.

Additionally, with an adjustable bridge I'm thinking that means I'm limited in what I can do as far as installing a pickup (aren't under saddle pickups a no-go with adjustable bridges?). Is that correct? I'm definitely looking for a gigging guitar, which makes the pickup a potential deal maker/breaker for me.

Thanks, as always, for your help.

Do not buy. It would be silly, as you note, to buy a known problem.

• Members

Makes sense. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on something exceptional that deserved my further investigation. If there were positive extenuating circumstances of some kind I'd most likely just bite the bullet and get that particular one. In main part because I LOVE the more classic looking finish as opposed to the more teaburst looking Modern Classic HBs.

• Members

But, there are PUs that are not USTs and they would work in this guitar. In fact I like the sound of a bridgeplate transducer better than a UST.

I know somebody always says this--but you need to play the guitar to know if you love it. I know adjustable bridges have a bad rep but who knows? I have a 70s era MIJ Fender acoustic with an adjustable bridge and it has very good tone for a relatively cheap guitar.

But I would definitely avoid this 'bird if you can't play it first.

• Members

But, there are PUs that are not USTs and they would work in this guitar. In fact I like the sound of a bridgeplate transducer better than a UST.

I know somebody always says this--but you need to play the guitar to know if you love it. I know adjustable bridges have a bad rep but who knows? I have a 70s era MIJ Fender acoustic with an adjustable bridge and it has very good tone for a relatively cheap guitar.

But I would definitely avoid this 'bird if you can't play it first.

Not sure why I never thought of a bridge plate transducer as an option, that's a great solution. I'm familiar with the K&K mini and LR Baggs iBeam. Do you have one you particularly like?

The "sight unseen" factor is definitely something to be considered... I'm debating how I feel about the 3 day return policy option.

• Members

Not sure why I never thought of a bridge plate transducer as an option, that's a great solution. I'm familiar with the K&K mini and LR Baggs iBeam. Do you have one you particularly like?

The "sight unseen" factor is definitely something to be considered... I'm debating how I feel about the 3 day return policy option.

I have the I-beam in my Yammie jumbo. Very good, warm, balanced sound. No metallicky "quacking" like the UST in my Tak.

A friend had a K&K installed in his Collings. It sounds fantastic played through his Fender Acoustasonic. Whether that's the PU or the guit, who knows?

• Members

If you're after the 60's vibe and tone of the Hummingbird (a la Keith Richards) then the adjustable saddle version is the way to go. If I bought that guitar, I'd look on ebay and search for the ceramic saddle which was found originally on these guitars. They are available at times and it gives those guitars a better reproduction of the 60's 'Bird sound IMHO. If, on the otherhand you are wanting a more contemporary 'Bird sound, I'd opt for the TV or other 'Birds with the fixed bridge and saddle.

• Members

Do you have one you like? I haven't ever found one that sounds right. They're not acousticky enough for me.

I have the same question too. Not really a fan of the magnetic soundhole pickups I've heard thus far. They sound too much like... magnetic pickups haha.

Archived