Suggestions: Foam Guitar Cases

T.B.

• Members

I'm a little confused by the combo of "foam" and "hard case."

Do you mean something similar to Martin's hard plastic cases that are basically styrofoam encased in plastic? Or are you looking for a hard gig bag? Between the two, I'd recommend the latter. I purchased an SKB hard case (thermoplastic) not too long ago. The thing broke in transit, empty, and it really was just a thin plastic shell over styrofoam. No more of that crap for me.

I bought one of these for my first build, and it's an excellent case. I'll be buying more of them in future.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/wolfpak-acoustic-guitar-polyfoam-case

• Members

That's what I'm talking about; I was thinking how do I describe it? :lol: I've seen these types of cases off an on but couldn't remember what material was used in each. So thanks for the clarification and recommendation, I'll check that out. The shape of the hard gig bag in the link, is it cumbersome to carry at all, in your opinion?

• Members

That's what I'm talking about; I was thinking how do I describe it?
:lol:
I've seen these types of cases off an on but couldn't remember what material was used in each. So thanks for the clarification and recommendation, I'll check that out. The shape of the hard gig bag in the link, is it cumbersome to carry at all, in your opinion?

I'd say definitely not [cumbersome to carry], mostly because it's very lightweight. Handle is pretty comfortable. Cooler still, if you're going to be carrying for some distance, there is a large zip compartment in the back that will reveal shoulder straps, if you prefer to carry the git like a backpack. The bottoms of the straps clip into two metal rings on the bottom of the case. I've never used the shoulder straps before, but they're padded & look like they're probably comfortable enough. Not sure, but I think a lot of hard gig bags have this feature. I seem to see a lot of folks on the subway carrying gits a la backpack.

Edit: Also, I guess "foam" fits either way, really. I'm not sure what this case is made of on the interior, but it's gotta be some kind of foam... I used to really hate the idea of soft cases or gig bags. I really love this thing, though. My only beef is that the price is a bit high. Maybe that'll come down eventually (?). There are other good ones for less, but I have no personal experience with 'em.

Archived