Latest HC Newsletter

entityx

• Members

I also would wonder if even someone like Elton John ( W Bernie Taupin at lyricist!) would be able to become a global phenom with the thundering noise floor that exist today .. ONE GOLDEN NEEDLE IN A MEGA_GLOBAL SIZE_STACK_OF NEEDLES :lol:

It would be a cool experiment , No $$$ venture capital for any marketing or promotion for you Sir Elton !!!!! ( Now an unknown commodity in our little thought experiment !)

Throw your stuff up on Reverb Nation Mr. John; then simply sit back and wait for the word of mouth to do the rest !!!!

Surley that kind of musicality would take off instantaineously with the help of the web ; no???

• Members

So the question is , is after you take all the possible profits ( besides peanuts ) and get entirley ride of all those bastard middle men , who fronts any venture capital for artist development/marketing/discovery/promotion ??

Artist development was happening long before records were invented, let alone record companies. There will always be songwriters. To think that no great musical art could ever be created without, say, Arista Records, is just silly. There's no denying that some great musical compositions have resulted from artists being able to go into a world class studio for 6 months and be creative. And while it is true that those days are gone, have you seen what can be done with Logic 9? Or any other high end computer audio software, for that matter. The tools available right now are God-like compared to what they had in the 70's or even the 80's.

Marketing, Discovery, and Promotion are all done differently now. People are still trying to figure out how to do this, but we have access to crazy powerful tools now that we never had before, because of the Internet. I haven't exactly set the world on fire with my own CD sales, but I've sold music to people in Japan, Australia, and a ton of other places. Under the "old middleman" system that would have never happened. Under the old ways, I could never have afforded to record a CD in the first place.

I know that some would love to go back to the old days of two radio stations, buying a whole CD for one good song, and not being able to record anything of any quality on your own, and having no hope of being heard outside of your home town, and being kept out of the exclusive club that was worthy of being recorded and heard by the masses. Screw that!

• Members

buying a whole CD for one good song,

That's been a fairly recent phenomenon, IMO. I have bought hundreds of records and CDs and can count the ones on one hand that had only one good song on it. In fact, most have maybe one or two I DIDN'T like. Some had to grow on me, but what's new about that?

On the other hand, most DIY CDs I have have one good song on them if that many.

• Members

I also would wonder if even someone like Elton John ( W Bernie Taupin at lyricist!) would be able to become a global phenom with the thundering noise floor that exist today ..
ONE GOLDEN NEEDLE IN A MEGA_GLOBAL SIZE_STACK_OF NEEDLES
:lol:

It would be a cool experiment , No $$$ venture capital for any marketing or promotion for you Sir Elton !!!!! ( Now an unknown commodity in are little experiment )

Throw your stuff up on Reverb Nation , then simply sit back and wait for the word of mouth to do the rest !!!!

Seriously, dude. You're going to blow a gasket. The world isn't crumbling and the sky is not going to fall. It's called "change," and everything will work out just fine. If someone comes along with the kind of talent Elton John has, there will be plenty of ways for him to get noticed. It's crazy cynical to think that no one will ever discover good music again. People like good music. The Internet isn't going to "kill" good music.

• Members

That's been a fairly recent phenomenon, IMO. I have bought hundreds of records and CDs and can count the ones on one hand that had only one good song on it. In fact, most have maybe one or two I DIDN'T like. Some had to grow on me, but what's new about that?

On the other hand, most DIY CDs I have have one good song on them if that many.

If by fairly recent you mean the 80's, then I agree. :)

• Members

If by fairly recent you mean the 80's, then I agree.
:)

Depends on what you listen to, I suppose. I quit listening to most modern rock 25 years ago with a few exceptions and listen mostly to blues, jazz, singer/songwriter, Americana, alt country, neofolk and the like. And since the 80s, seriously, I can count on one hand the albums I've bought that had more than one or two songs on it I really didn't like. Of course, it's all subjective.

People are still trying to figure out how to do this, but we have access to crazy powerful tools now that we never had before, because of the Internet.

True enough- but what good are they if everyone has them and no one has figured out how to make them work for them? I'll make a prediction right now- the guy who figures out how to make music distribution exclusive again will be the guy who starts creating profit and super stars again. Maybe it will never happen, but until it does, we'll have what we have, which (using a sports analogy) isn't SuperBowl football team, it's a thousand people on a pro field all chasing a ball around pretending to be football players.

• Members

If you were to talk to one on those old label farts, you might find out that there were lots of bands , whom had a critically acclaimed album in hand , which was backed up by the labels promotion and marketing muscle and , that despite this seemingly sure fire , couldn't miss scenario , things still fizzled

So now the masterfully, ubiquitous "web" will make it so everybody who is deserving gets a shot because , as you're sure that this thing "change," is almost always for the good and "everything will work out just fine"........... We'll why didn't you just say so !!!!!:facepalm:

I'm way past the blow-a-gasket-phase over here . I'm in the resigned-to-the mob- mentality-wins phase .

Honestly , "everything will work out fine" is what Nevil Chamberlain said after he hit the ground in the UK with his jolly good piece of paper signed by heir Hitler himself !!!

No one knows how the debasement of music after napster is going to wash out in the final judgment; I just hope that we have more folks who don't throw in the towel quite so easily ........

• Members

The whole " I have post traumatic stress syndrom cause an album I bought had what I feel was filler" excuse is mute. go to I-tunes and buy singles. All anyone who felt so strongly that an artist had lost integrity and done filler ever had to do was ; ... not buy that artist albums again . That's voting with the old wallet .

Instead , a generation used it as justification to "stick it to the man" and get copyright protected material gratis ..............

• Members

I've currently been reading a book about the downfall of the music industry, and it's kind of depressing. It's pretty hard to believe how reckless and indulgent so many of these industry people were...equal to the artists in some cases. Amazing such egomaniacs were able to keep it running for as long as they did. Reading the book, it almost seems inevitable now that it was going to crumble sooner or later. I definitely see some parallels to what Wall Street is currently experiencing.

I'm not going to argue that the old music industry was totally useless, or some monster that deserved to be destroyed, because obviously if it was able to sustain itself for so long as a multi-million dollar industry, it must've been doing some things right. When you hear veteran artists who made millions from record sales talk about how piracy is a good thing, it sounds pretty absurd, since in doing so, they are disparaging the very system that made them rich. However, I don't necessarily believe their disillusionment is unfounded. They got to see first hand what a dirty business it was, and how many people got chewed up and spit out. They are well aware that they are anomalies of the system, and that they could very easily have been part of the majority who were not so lucky. So I can kind of see from their perspective why so many of them are eager to say "good riddance".

But yeah--they got rich off it, so to the casual observer, it does makes their position seem a bit hard to justify.

Archived