A little confused about the specs on my Martin D-16GT

grunge782

• Members

I was reading around about Martin D-16GT's and Micarta fretboard/bridges (some interesting forum reads to say the least). However, I looked up my serial and found out it that it was made in 2000 meaning it was made with striped Macassar ebony instead of Micarta.

Were there any other differences in specs between the pre 2001 D-16GT's and the newer one's, or was that it? More specifically I just want to know what kind of nut and saddle material is used on this guitar.

• Members

I might, but I kinda don't want to bring up a conversation about the switch from Ebony to Micarta with them...
:o

Why not? Some prefer the Micarta to any wood. Can't say that I have a practical argument against its use. You will find me swearing at people who laud composites over traditional materials but that's because they're thumbing their noses at the very values I hold dear. That bugs me. It's a romance thing and if they can't embrace that then the first thing I think of is cold. That isn't a place to make music from.

• Members

If you've followed the news release by Bob Taylor who recenctly purchased the major supplier of ebony in Camaroon (I believe) and the cluster that Gibson just went thru, you might agree that WHAT the fretboard is made out of is less important than that is be good quality. If you call Martin with your s/n they can tell you a lot about your guitar, but do the specs really change the way it sounds?

You've got a great guitar, sit back and enjoy it. Change the nut or saddle if you want (an easy test to see if they are bone is to sand them - they'll smell like burnt hair). If you do change them, let us know if you can tell the difference.

• Members

You've got a great guitar, sit back and enjoy it. Change the nut or saddle if you want (an easy test to see if they are bone is to sand them - they'll smell like burnt hair). If you do change them, let us know if you can tell the difference.

I don't really know what burnt hair smells like :idk::o. I'm not about to try either...:lol:

Archived