Suggest some good strings to try for Seagull S6.

NeverTheMachine

• Members

I got a used Seagull S6 recently. Great guitar for the price, but it is a little too bright sounding with the strings I have now. I am accustomed to my Martin D-15 which is a "dark" sounding guitar, and I've used Elixir 12's polyweb to brighten it up a bit. However, the Elixir's make the Seagull too bright.

So I want to try some strings that will help me darken up the sound of a Seagull S6 cedar top.

• Members

When we tested strings a while back the general feeling was that Phosphor Bronze (PB's) were not as bright as 80/20, and that coatings, like your Polys or Nanoweb, were less bright than uncoated strings. My preference for a combination of long life and warm less bright sound is Nanoweb PB's. You might also want to try a set of "Red" brand - they are 99 percent copper and were the warmest strings I have ever tried - too much for my taste but might be just what you want.

Good guitar, by the way. I think Seagulls are one of the better buys.

• Members

I was going to suggest the Nanoweb's also they didn't sound overly bright on my S6 but not a fan of the dark at all.

I've been using Martin M540 non coated strings lately (on another guitar) cheap enough to try out on your Seagull though.

I have sold the S6 since then though ...

Archived