Epiphone Ej200ce - other contenders?

FoonkySteve

• Members
EJ200 ain't the worst Jumbo.

Latest generation has solid tops and a blender pickup/preamp.

If I would need a cheap'n'cheerful Jumbo, I would pull the trigger, to.

Perfect! Thanks for the reply :thu:

Since you mentioned the solid tops; after a visit to epihones site, turns out there is a bit of confusion regarding the tops. All the one's i have seen at

• Members

That extra $$ is worth it for the solid top. The shadow pickup system is pretty darn good. I recorded one of these and it was quite usable even if I hadn't also mic'd it.

Thanks man!

Just off the phone to my local dealer, they are getting one in for me from thier other store! Solid top, they'll do it for

• Members

If you haven't pulled yet, check out crafter guitars. I was in the exact same position you are. I'd just forked out for a lowden and so really couldn't justify a J200, looked at EJ200's (ce too, I needed electrics too) and to be completely honest, they sounded poor. I ended up buying a used crafter ML rose ltd edition GA, smaller size I know but the sound knocked my socks off and it had the bass response which was one of the primary reasons I was going down the jumbo route. Crafter do jumbo's too and they are really good too. One of the most underrated gits ever IMHO. Whatever you do, come back with pics and ENJOY!!!

• Members

If you haven't pulled yet, check out crafter guitars. I was in the exact same position you are. I'd just forked out for a lowden and so really couldn't justify a J200, looked at EJ200's (ce too, I needed electrics too) and to be completely honest, they sounded poor. I ended up buying a used crafter ML rose ltd edition GA, smaller size I know but the sound knocked my socks off and it had the bass response which was one of the primary reasons I was going down the jumbo route. Crafter do jumbo's too and they are really good too. One of the most underrated gits ever IMHO. Whatever you do, come back with pics and ENJOY!!!

I've not pulled the trigger just yet, I'm gonna try it out first and see how I get on With the size difference.

The crafter looks awesome; although it's more than double the price :(

• Members

I've not pulled the trigger just yet, I'm gonna try it out first and see how I get on With the size difference.

The crafter looks awesome; although it's more than double the price
:(

I'm fairly sure there are laminated back and sides/ solid top crafters (similar specs to the epi) for similar prices. Don't get hung up on the size/shape like I did either. The sound we expect from a certain size guitar can often be had from others. I'm really glad I didn't. I mean this one is a keeper and blows guitars triple its price out of the water, including some big names. The GAE-6 is a solid sitka spruce top and lam hog back and sides. I played one when I bought mine and it was a canon. Seriously, I dont know if they have improved recently but those epiphones were top of my list and the reality was really disappointing. Just a heads up

Archived