RainSong guitars???

racoustic

• Members

I was at the local guitarcenter shop today and came across this acoustic/electric guitar made by RainSong (www.rainsong.com). The guitars are Graphite body and was priced at about $1800 (dreadnaught cutaway that I was checking at). The sound really blew my mind. It really was as good as teh Martin HD28 (although a bit lower on the base notes vs. the HD) and actually sounded even crisper than Taylor 416 and 814CE!!

If I am going to spend that much dough, it made me started thinking about other things such as longevity of guitar and issues with keeping guitar in various climates (if I move). Given this is made of graphite, you can literally keep it anywhere and won't be an issue.

I am looking for input from folks who own the guitar (or have tried it) - How is the sound (unplugged and plugged) in your experience. It felt to me a bit small (maybe I am used to Jumbo now)? Has anybody has issues with these guitars? Are there restrictions on strings (gauage/type)? Anything helps!

The few mins I got to play it today - I must say I really like it!!!! 

• Members

There shouldn't be a problem with longevity with a Rainsong. I've played a few at NAMM, and Guitar Player did a review in the 90's. I found that they sounded a bit weird to the person playing it, like resonances that don't project far, but from a listener's perspective, they're fine. The neck felt weird to me because it's so hard, strange to think of a wooden neck with give, but they do. Should be a lifetime instrument.

• Members

If you dig how it sounds and have the $$$, go for it. They're basically indestructible short of getting backed over by a car.

I don't know about now, but they used to be made in Hawai'i and they made a big deal about them still being in tune when they arrived in the mainland despite the temperature and humidity difference.

• Members

I would really love to own one of the hybrid model dreadnoughts. Sound is truly fantastic, IMHO, although really not in any way comparable to an HD-28. Graphite guitars have a very different kind of tonal quality, to my ear, but still excellent. And very loud. 

If I can ever justify/live with the expense, I will probably nab one. Especially now that I'm in a situation where I have very limited storage space for guitars, meaning I have to store in cold conditions that make me nervous about guitar safety, etc., the practical benefits of carbon fiber are clearer still. 

Archived