"Short Cut" Capo--Alternate Tuning for Dummies

rjoxyz

• Members

I posted earlier about being fascinated by tunings and partial capos used by David Wilcox and Randall Williams, his opening act at a concert I attended last Saturday. I was aware of partial capos, but clueless as to how they were used.

Out of curiosity, I ordered a Kyser Short Cut capo on eBay and started screwing around. Placed on the second fret (Capos A,D and G strings), it is supposed to emulate DADGAD tuning (I think). Having -0- theory knowledge, I have no clue what chords I am playing, but many standard open chord shapes sound good, with an entirely different voicing for the guitar. Some single fretted notes generate a full sounding chord if strummed or fingerpicked as an arpeggio.

Placed at the 4th fret, I can still play some standard open chords and get full sounds (more clinkers at this position), with a harp-like tone. Apparently, a full capo can be placed on the second fret above for more useable standard chord shapes.

So far, I am experimenting, noodling through chord progressions and really enjoying it. I can see how this little device could really be useful to someone who knows what he/she is doing. For a guy with my limitations, it is nice to be able to get some different sounds out of the guitar by just clamping on a capo. Most fun I've had with the guitar in ages.

Just reporting a new and fun discovery for me (don't get many of those these days) and anyone interested but unfamiliar with partial capos.

• Members

You might like this:

I started mucking around with a cut capo about two years ago and now use it in at least a third of the songs that I write. My favorite is tuning the guitar to dadgad and using the cut capo at the second fret, it priduces some really beautiful tones.

• Members

ive been doing cut capo stuff for about 5 years. before they had the short cut i would just turn my kyser capo over to hold the A, D, & G strings to make an Esus. you can get some great open chords if you play in D minus any fingers on the high E. play an E chord with the cut capo on the 2nd fret to get this cool F# chord, or just hold your fingers in the D2 posistion and slide up and down to get some cool chords. also, if you play a C in the 2nd fret cut capo posistion it makes a flat 7th in the key of E and adds a cool feel. lots of possibilities.

• 4 years later...

Archived