Top Acoustic Guitar songs?

theguitarjournal

• Members

Hey all,

I did a little research on the best acoustic gutiar songs.  There's a lot of lists on the web, so I tried to make a 'best of the best' list.  You can see it here:  http://www.theguitarjournal.com/the-ultimate-top-10-acoustic-guitar-songs/

But I noticed most peoples lists are heavy on the rock'n'roll (i.e. Eagles, Led Zeppelin, etc.)

Any feedback/suggestions on other "top" acoustic guitar songs?

Thanks,

Jesse

• Members

ummm... if by "Top Acoustic Guitar Songs" you meant Top songs with acoustic guitars in them that you'll hear on classic rock radio, then you might be on to something.

But there is a whole lot more out there than just the songs that fit Clear Channel's classic rock formula. You're missing whole genres where the acoustic guitar is the primary driver. Bluegrass, country blues, country, folk, singer songwriter, flamenco, classical pieces arranged for guitar...

• Members

theguitarjournal wrote:

Hey all,

I did a little research on the best acoustic gutiar songs.  There's a lot of lists on the web, so I tried to make a 'best of the best' list.  You can see it here:  

But I noticed most peoples lists are heavy on the rock'n'roll (i.e. Eagles, Led Zeppelin, etc.)

Any feedback/suggestions on other "top" acoustic guitar songs?

Thanks,

Jesse

Very rock oriented, at that!

I'd've suggested something by Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Leo Kottke, Andre Segovia, Django, Lonnie Johnson, Memphis Minnie, Hank Snow and/or Dave van Ronk (to name a few), all of whom can/could play circles around everyone on the rock list.

• Members

Yeah, I think this really just represents the top 10 songs according to the popular mainstream radio market.

I'd be interested in diving deeper and trying to make some more specific lists for:  Fingerstyle, Blues, Bluegrass, etc.

It seems a bit overhwhelming, but probably the neccessary next step...

• Members

Graeca wrote:

I'd've suggested something by Doc Watson, Norman Blake, Leo Kottke, Andre Segovia, Django, Lonnie Johnson, Memphis Minnie, Hank Snow and/or Dave van Ronk (to name a few), all of whom can/could play circles around everyone on the rock list.

Bingo.   Since the blues influenced the early rock and rollers, add

Walkin' Blues, Roll'n'Tumble and about everything else by Robert Johnson

Black Girl, Rock Island Road, about anything else by Ledbelly

Freight Train - the first finger picking song most of us learn, Libby Cotten

This Land is Your Land and all the other great songs by Woodie Gutherie

Since John Fahey influenced Kottke and that whole generation, anything off his early records

Anji - Davie Graham (not Angie)

Vaseline Machine Gun - Leo Kottke (and everything else off "6 and 12 String Guitar"

Everything by Segovia - I'm partial to his Bach pieces

Little Martha - Duane Allman

Django - again, pick almost anything

Doc Watson - flat pick or finger, how abou Deep River Blues

funny, I can't think of any great acoustic rock and roll song....

Archived