Guild Guitars

Norton666

• Members

Years ago I owned a dot com company that sold exclusively Guild acoustics and electric guitars, all vintage from either the Hoboken or Waverly plants with just a few exceptions.  The biggest problem we had with Guild guitars was the neck.  More times than not the necks of that age were rarely straight.  We were always fighting to get a straight fret board.  Some of our guitars actually had a double curve.  This was due in part because of the lack of a consistent assembly technique.  Different employees at both plants had their own ideas and the QC was not as stringent as it is today.  I really like Guild's acoustic guitars of that era.  They were, and are, work horses that are meant to be played and they can take a beating and still sound great.  I think Guild is just starting to come back on the guitar scene in spite of their current owner.  I've sold off most of mine and probably lost money but their 12 string J30 maple archtop guitars are still the best sounding in my opinion.  Good Luck!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would welcome you to the forum except you already have more osts than I'll ever have in my lifetime on this forum.  If you've been gone for a while let me cue you in on a few observations.  I want to warn you of a hazing practice that takes place against new members that is meant to become law slung at you by many of the core group here.  Expect to be reprimanded for any of the following:

Being new to the forum

Poor speling

Describing musical terminology incorrectly

Bringing up old posts

Asking routine questions that some new players might be interested in

but the regular contributors have no patience for reading

-Be prepared to be called a spammer

-Be prepared to be called a troll

-Don

• Members

I can update this a bit.......I have since my last post some years ago....purchased 3 more guilds....a Westerley F30 12 string, A Gad F20 (exceptional little guitar), A hoboken 60's F30.

All of these instruments in their own right are exceptional....EVEN THE GAD, which unfortunely they don't make this model....its now made only in New Hartford CT....for around $2400...The Gad was just as nice and sounding an instrument for $1200.

Can't say anthing bad about Guilds...they have a sound of their own and an array of them are still made in America, I would love to have a dealer close by, but I don't....Can't go wrong with a used one, but play it first to see if you like the sound...as I said, they are different.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Dick - as per the Blue book of Acoustic guitars - ( 12 edition )

a 1963-1969 D-50  ( you say yours is a '65 ) Brazilian Rosewood B & S

Average cond . 2,300 to 2,700

Excellent cond.  3,250 to 3,750

from my experience - everyone thinks their guitar is excellent condition , but the book puts very distinctive

specs as to whats excellent , average or poor -- most are average ( seriously )

these prices are based on the guitar not needing a neck reset or major repairs- like vg cond frets etc -

Id also expect a Guild hardshell case .( or another decent HS case )

I doubt even in the best condition ( in a poor economy like we have now )it would bring over 3 grand - maybe closer to $ 2,500 - . This is just an educated estimate or opinion -

Those older Guilds are stellar -IMO better than alot of Martins of that ERA .

Archived