Banjo ukulele head question

Freeman Keller

• Members

This is slightly off topic but I figured some of you with banjo or ukulele experience could comment (TAH, Neal, Tony?).   I've replaced the head on a hundred year old banjo ukulele but when I tensioned it the chrome head ring ended up about 1/16 below the plane of the head.  I believe that it should stand proud by a 16th or 18th of an inch.    Is this correct?    If so I'll redo it but before I order a new skin and go thru all the work I wanted to confirm.   Here is a picture of what I'm talking about.

• Members

Neal wrote:

The skin has always been over/higher than the rim in my experience. That looks about right.  But I'm not a banjo uke enthusiast, I could be totally wrong.  Head thee to a luthier forum.

Thanks Neal.  I've posted at both the Uke and lutherie forums - opinions are split about 50/50 on whether its OK or I should redo it.  I'm going to let the owner decide - he can have the uke this weekend if this is OK, otherwise it will take a couple more weeks to get the head and redo it.   I've also told him that if he takes it like this and isn't happy with it I'll redo the head anytime within a year.

Cool little instrument - I might post a brief thread about it when I'm done.

Archived