Installing Humbucker Covers

J.B. Lee

• Members

I've been looking at those $150 Oscar Schmidts and have decided I can't live with uncovered pickups on a 335 copy. How easy is it to install those chrome covers? I've heard people talk of dipping pickups in wax, but I hope that's not totally necessary.

Also: Is there any way to move the strap pin from the upper bout to the heel? Less important to me really, but that would make it more 335ish.

• Members

The heel is a metal plate dude, it's a bolt on neck. You could get ahold of a peg like they use on the Epi 310 BO SG somewhere I guess.

As far as covers, as long as the screws in the pup match the holes in the cover, you just pop 'em on. You can secure them with a dab of solder. I've also read about some people using hot glue, but I've never tried that. Wax potting is to guard from feedback.

• Members

You don't need wax potting if your pickup is good.

If you don't have feedback on your pickup you won't have any with covers.

Just few things:

Takes the measures of the pole spacing of your pickups and choose the right covers. (the measure is the distance between the center of the two pole at each extremity)

To avoid friction between cover and pups, put some tape on the fixed poles before putting the covers.

To fit the cover right you'll may need to unscrew the screw-poles a little to make them exceed the cover.

Then insert strongly the cover.

Weld it at two point at the back of the pickup.

now you can screw the pole down. Just depend of your taste.

Don't put too much welding. Cause you may have to redo it several times.

Last point, if you pups were open-stock, you may have to adjust your mounting rings so the cover could fit them.

That's all! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by cosmitron

You don't need wax potting if your pickup is good.

Whoa whoooa. Potting is to protect against microphonic feedback that can happen to any pickup. It's the reason Jeff Beck removed the covers from his PAF pickups, because under high gain, unpotted pickups will almost certainly become microphonic.

Almost all quality pickups today are wax potted, and sometimes potted a second time (sealed with epoxy, for instance). The only time you'd pay beacoup bucks for an unpotted pickup is if you were looking to replicate a pickup that wasn't originally potted (see: Seymour Duncan Seth Lover model, for instance).

//S

• Members

Yeah, but when you add covers, potting them eliminates air pockets between the cover and the pickup, which, I believe, causes the feedback (somehow :p).

Your luthier told you that the only result of potting the pickups would be that you'd burn them? WTH? :confused:

//S

• Members

Originally posted by Shocker

Yeah, but when you add covers, potting them eliminates air pockets between the cover and the pickup, which, I believe, causes the feedback (somehow
:p
).

Your luthier told you that the only result of potting the pickups would be that you'd burn them? WTH?
:confused:

//S

yes he told me that seeing me completely newbie. :D

That's why he told me I should only need to put a thin piece of tape upon the fixed pole.(it work just real fine for me);) Wax potting may be fun but you don't need to do it if it sounds ok.

Just do it step by step. If you have feedback ok go on and wax it. But be careful, that's not an operation for all beginners.:rolleyes:

• Members

I have actually replaced the covers on my Gibson Les Paul's pickup covers because they were heavily worn by the previous owner. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Fist of all, you need to make sure you order the correct covers for eack pickup. The may have differently spaced pole pieces as they are on My Les Paul. It is a slight difference, but barely noticible to the naked eye. Second, remember that potted pickups have wax that melts very easily! If you do not have a powerful enough soldering iron to do a quick solder job, you will overheat the pickup and melt the wax. That is just what happened to me. The only thing that saved me was I have a wax potting setup and was able to re-pot my pickups. Another thing that will help in the transfer of solder to the pickup and cover is to sand or scuff a small area on the pickup and cover where the solder joint will be. Also Pre-tin the cover before you put it on, not too much or the cover may not slip over the pickup. When the cover is on the pickup, the pickup acts as a heat sink and will cool the solder when applied making it harder to get a good solder joint. Lastly, you have to solder the cover to the pickup for proper grounding.

• Members

Almost all of the pickups on the market today are wax potted (or potted with some other material), except for those that are specifically made like the old, original PAF's.

A little trick to prevent microphonics when putting covers on pickups that came without, is to run a small bead of RTV sealant across the slug side poles of the pickup before putting the cover on. This is not unlike cosmitron's suggestion regarding the use of a thin piece of tape in the same fashion, except that the RTV will make for a better bond between the cover and the pickup. What you're trying to do, is to prevent any excess vibration from the cover that might cause the microphonics. A thin bead of RTV won't prevent the removal of the cover at a later date, should you decide to do so.

BTW, I learned this little trick from Jim Wagner of WCR pickups...a guy who knows a thing or two about pickups... ;)

OH YEAH...I forgot to add....

Do youself a favor and get nickel silver covers and not nickel or chrome plated brass. You'll be much happier in the long run. Most of the complaints I've heard involving the loss of tone (particularly high frequencies) was after someone installed the brass covers. You'll notice that most reputable custom pickup winders specify nickel silver covers for their pickups.

Archived