Strange Gibson

Jimi Ray Halen

• Members

TheDarxide:

I can't see ebay at work, but it's not one of those early 80's spare parts Les Pauls is it?

No it sort of looks like an old Ibanez Artist w/ real sharp horns, an Explorer headstock, and a FR bridge. Three pickups. It's the most non-Gibson looking Gibson I've seen in awhile.

Marloni - you have a pm

• Members

Actually,the trem is the Kahler/Maestro that Gibson used.Those guitars were manufactured at the tailend of the Norlin period when VH influence and Charvel/Jackson and superstrat guitars were the popular fashion.Les Pauls were commonly traded in on guitars with locking trems.

The pickup configuration on the ebay guitar had previously been used on the Q series guitars Gibson made, which were stratlike successors to the Victory models.So the instrument in question is basically an LP standard with a double cutaway,Kahler trem,explorer style headstock,and versatile pickup configuration.Not made in huge quantities,could be a pretty decent guitar.

• Members

Actually, it's more of a Melody Maker body, rather than a Les Paul. Where are they getting that it's an LP??? It doesn't have any LP markings anywhere that we can see from the pix.

Melody Maker body, Explorer neck -- doesn't sound like a 'Paul to me! ;)

• Members

Originally posted by Psychotronic

Actually, it's more of a Melody Maker body, rather than a Les Paul. Where are they getting that it's an LP??? It doesn't have any LP markings anywhere that we can see from the pix.

Melody Maker body, Explorer neck -- doesn't sound like a 'Paul to me!
;)

I used to sell them.Its a Les Paul.

• Members

Les Paul Double Cutaway XPL 400, is the model designation I believe. They had no "Les Paul" markings, but were listed as such. 1984-85, up to 1987 for the 2 humbucker variety(same model without the 400 series electronics). The guitarist from Huey Lewis and the News(woo hoo) used one for a while back then, I think.

• Members

Originally posted by Dougy

"We've run out of ideas! Quick, throw these leftover parts together..."

No youre talking about the gibson futura

gibson-futura-body.jpg

:o

The guitar in topic has same bodytype as Epiphone Genesis, but they look so much nicer yoo :cool:

Archived