Filing Frets?

stratosaurus

• Members

I have a SX Tele that the fret are 'sharp' on the edge. Since it's a cheap guitar, I thought I might try filing the frets myself.

I've never done it before, know nothing about it, so should I try it?????

If so, are there any sites,forums,etc. I can go to get some pointers?

• Members

Originally posted by stratosaurus

I have a SX Tele that the fret are 'sharp' on the edge. Since it's a cheap guitar, I thought I might try filing the frets myself.

I've never done it before, know nothing about it, so should I try it?????

If so, are there any sites,forums,etc. I can go to get some pointers?

Where are you in NC??

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

No tutorial needed, it's that simple. Just use a small file or sandpaper, maybe tape the surrounding area with masking tape to avoid scratching the neck.

10 to 1 the frets also need dressing and all that info is covered on those two sites so I figure it hits all the bases ;)

• Members

Originally posted by 72 bonne

My SX guitar came in yesterday and I was surprised how well the fret ends actually were. They are very smooth and need no filing whatsoever. I guess I just got lucky and got a good one.

My fret ends were very clean on mine also, but I have some high frets, so I need to do a level and crown job.

• Members

Originally posted by 72 bonne

My SX guitar came in yesterday and I was surprised how well the fret ends actually were. They are very smooth and need no filing whatsoever. I guess I just got lucky and got a good one.

This is an older SX. I've had it sitting around for about 3-4 years & just got it out. Figured I'd play with it, since they're so cheap, it's not worth the trouble to try and sale it.:)

Archived