Short Scale Bass

mtnb1kr

• Members

For you guys who buy a bass to have for recording, what are thoughts or disadvantages of a short scale bass. I don't really play bass and have relatively small hands. I have a P-bass copy that is a real "stretch" for me. I was considering a Cort short scale bass 30" I saw on e-bay for $170 just to fit me better. Will I be disapointed in the bass sound qualities of a short scale or does it matter?

• Members

I have 3 short scale's and one long scale. Short scale strung with short scale flatwound strings are my favorite. Flatwounds last forever,one of my basses has had the same set of flats for 12 years and they sound as good as they ever did.

• Members

Originally posted by zenbu

yeah theres a used Mustang bass in the local pawn shop... wondered about that my own self.

Hi Zenbu,

I'm glad you were not in that ill-fated train ride (but feel sorry for all those unfortunate souls). I had a real cool Mustang bass years ago that I unfortunatly sold. I'd check it out if I were you.

I have bought an interesting short scale bass in Canada two years ago. It's an Ampeg bass that copies the Dan Armstrong body shape. It's purplelish blue (my daughter just loves it) and a quilt maple looking top that looks just to thin to be the real thing. The best part of it is the neck that feels very nice and easy to play. I think mtnb1kr (what a name!...) would love it.

• Members

I got a short-scale bass (an Epiphone Viola) last summer precisely because I worried about the reach. I played baSS in a couple of bands in high school and college (now more than two decades ago) and I remember how uncomfortable I found the reach on a 34" scale. The short scale just works better for me, for the limited use I get from the bass.

Next: flatwounds!

• Members

The Precision Jr is one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard.

If someone hadn't bought it, I would have.

Here's an advantage most people don't think of:

You can raise the action for better tone due to the strings being able to vibrate more freely while maintaining the same playability.

Bends are easier and slapping is certainly differnt, but has a WHONK you can't get on longer ones.

• Members

I'm a bass player and use both long and short scale basses. I think the best value in short-scale basses are the SX Jazz and Precision copies. Despite what the website says, the P has a narrower neck than the J. I have one of each along with a '67 Mustang Bass, which was my primary bass for years, a Precision Special and a Jazz. Mustangs with the stock bridge and pickups don't have very good tone.

http://www.rondomusic.net/spb57short.html

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62short.html

Originally posted by mtnb1kr

For you guys who buy a bass to have for recording, what are thoughts or disadvantages of a short scale bass. I don't really play bass and have relatively small hands. I have a P-bass copy that is a real "stretch" for me. I was considering a Cort short scale bass 30" I saw on e-bay for $170 just to fit me better. Will I be disapointed in the bass sound qualities of a short scale or does it matter?

• Members

I've got an old Hofner Panda bass which is a short scale bass and I use it all the time. It can't do everything, but it's great for rhythmic bass playing. I don't find it as functional for "sitting in the pocket" type of playing. Just my feelings.

Archived