Gah, I want some umph!

• Members

I posted this in the Amp forum, but it's kinda useless when you want to know about amps that aren't Diezel/Bogner/Framus...

So...

I was just wondering if I could get what I'm lookin for... and decided to ask you guys. I have a Gibson GA15rv, sounds great, wonderful even. I just wish it had a bit more presence and bass response to help it cut through a bit better.

All it has is a single 12" V30, it's a 15watt class A with plenty of loudness by itself... would it have any problem pushing a 4x12? It has a 16 ohm speaker out, and I was thinking an Avatar 4x12 with two vin30's and two G12H30's.

Are the 15 class A watts enough to push a 4x12? Are there any problems associated with underpowering one, or would this even be considered underpowering it? And lastly, would this give me the umph I am looking for?

Ah yes, I also have another option, at my local store the shop owner is selling his 72 Ampeg 4x10 guitar amp... sounds good, retubed with some NOS tubes 2-3 years ago and not played much since then. It has 4 mismatched random 10's in it, though it still sounds pretty good. Since I use a tonelab SE, I could run it in stereo with the Gibson amp. I am going to go take all my stuff up there tomorrow to try this out, and I can have that amp for ~500.

Would you take a 4x12 with new nice speakers in it or the ampeg in stereo? since I've never run the gibby through a different cab I don't know.

• Members

superfly........I have the GA 60 with the 2 12's so I have more than enough umph. I would think that trying a cab first would be better than switching amps. Especially since you seem to be happy over all with the Gibby. (As I am mine) I would think that amp is more than capable of driving a 4x12. Gibson has the manuals on their website if you do not have one. You might give that a read first. Good luck.

• Members

*Watches thread on amp forum sink to next page in 30 minutes*

Haha, thanks guys... good to see another goldtone owner, I love this amp! Hrmm, so there would be no problems, I would really like the umph.

Does Avatar make a good cab? I know that the speaker combo is what most would recommend. Though I could go with lower wattage speakers like Greenbacks, but I think the more modern tone of the G12H30 and VIN30 are a bit nicer. Would I be better off spending more on a marshall cab or something, though I don't think I would like the speakers in the marshall cab.

• Members

yeah Fly, I traded a 96 Gibby Chet Atkins for that amp. But I figured hey they (the ga-60's) are discontinued now. I love it and who knows what they'll be worth (or not worth) in years to come.

Depending on what you call umph, I had a lead player in one of my bands once that used a Peavey Black Widow cab with his amp and that thing really rocked. It was I think a basscabinet actually. So it had some umph. Just a thought.

• Members

Oh yeah i forgot to mention...after a year and over 1,000 posts here I have learned one undisputable fact.......................
Never, ever go to the amp forum for help with any amp question. I have posted there 4 times and gotten 5 responses total. And of those all were from forumites that I usually see here on HC EG.

• Members

Bump...

Some more questions!

A 4x12 won't exactly make me louder will it? I mean 15 watts through 16 ohms in one speaker will be the same as 16 ohms in 4 speakers? Would the only volume differences be due to effeciency in the speakers and the closed back design?

So everyone is sure that 15 watts would be enough to push the 4x12... or is this a moot point?

Am I correct in saying of course it's enough. Of course it won't be louder than a 100 watt marshall, but the amp won't be trying like the little engine that could to put out enough juice to push the cab. Am I correct that the amp itself would respond the same way, and all of the speakers would be getting the same amount of power as the single 12 in my combo?

• Members

You shouldn't have any problem hooking that amp up to a 412. I hook my 15 watt THD Univalve up to a 412 all the time and it pushes that with no problem. It definately gives you more "oomph" than a 112 or 212. :)

• Members

A 2x12 Mesa Horizontal closed back cab might give you the sound you are looking for. I have one, and I find when I put it on the floor (horizontally, the way it was designed to be used), it sounds a lot like my Marshall 4x12 cab.

I think a closed back cab is key to getting a more focused tone with tighter low-end.

• Members

I have moved away from using my 4x12 and find that my 2x12 is usually more than capable of delivering all the sound I need for most situations....not to mention much easier to cart around. Why not take your amp down to a good local shop and plug into a few cabs and see what really kicks it for you. Avatar does make nice cabs for the cash too.

• Members

Originally posted by JoeBoy

Best advice for a 4-12. CASTERS.

Heavy duty ones. I got a set from Lowes for like $3 per wheel, and they are exactly like the ones you get from a music store for $15 per wheel.

I actually had to get them because I was moving my 412 from downstairs to upstairs and it slipped out of my hand and fell about 10 inches down to the floor. When it did, it landed on the caster and snapped the axle right in half! (It's an old Peavey 412 cab that has to weigh 110 pounds easily).

• Members

Originally posted by Mistersuperfly

A 4x12 won't exactly make me louder will it? I mean 15 watts through 16 ohms in one speaker will be the same as 16 ohms in 4 speakers? Would the only volume differences be due to effeciency in the speakers and the closed back design?

Yes, it will make you significantly louder! The load the amp has to move is represented by the impedance of the cabinet. That amp has 15 watts of power to push that load. But the load moves 4 times as many speaker cones in the 4 x 12 cab than in a 1 x 12 cab, moving 4 times as much air (assuming the same impedance for each cabinet). It's the movement of the air mass that our ears perceive as volume.

Efficiencies matter as well. A cabinet that produces a sound pressure level (SPL) of 100 dB with 1 watt of power at a 1 meter distance is twice as efficient as a cabinet that produces a SPL of 97 dB with 1 watt of power at a 1 meter distance, and half as efficient as a cabinet that produces a SPL of 103 dB with 1 watt of power at a 1 meter distance.

For higher volume, the efficiencies of the speaker cabinets and the square inches of speaker cone are to displace more air is a far more effective way to get higher volumes than increasing amp power. If the efficiencies of the cabinets are equal, the 4 x 12 cabinet will give a 6 dB increase in volume -- 4 times -- over the 1 x 12 cabinet. To do the same by increasing amp power, you would need a 60 watt amp. And it's likely that the non-linear responses of the speaker to higher power being applied would reduce that as well.

The various Bass Forums (TalkBass, HCBF) speak about this issue a lot. For more volume, add speakers.

• Members

Originally posted by k4df4l

Avatar does make nice cabs for the cash too.

+1

I have two of their bass cabs, and they're a fabulous value with really good sound. The BEST customer service, too. Dave at Avatar is great!

Archived