Pickups

satannica

• Members

So, today I just got through building myself another guitar!

I've gone for a superstrat design. Its got an official floyd rose ready to go on there, maple neck through alder body wings and and ebony fret board.

So now I'm after pickups. I haven't routed the cavities yet, I wanted to leave them last.

What would you guys put in as pickups? I run ENGL power ball and Marshall TSL100 amps, but will mainly be used through a flextone III xl.

I wanna have a nice rounded singing lead sound. Think pure 80s style metal - think Skid Row type leads!!! Harmonics leaping off the fretboard and just really smooth. Rhythms sounds should be clear and articulate.

What do you guys reckon? Would prefer passive as I will be tuning to standard E with this one with a set of 9's.

Jon Sick

• Members

If you want mids, how about a JB? Get the TB-4 for the floyd. Or, maybe even a DiMarzio Fred might fit the bill. For some reason, i tend to gravitate toward SD pups, though.

Personally, the H/S (bridge/neck) is my favorite config, a la George Lynch. I'm not sure what single coil will give a nice clean, and bluesy overdriven lead to go with that mid-range heavy JB. I suppose you could always throw in a 59 or jazz and split the coils, but I think H/S config looks better, too.

• Members

Originally posted by Switch

For 80's town, I'd look at the full shred or screamin' deamon. I also hear many things about the X2N from dimarzio, very hot output and very screaming.

The full shred (despite what one might think from its name) doesn't have that high of an output compared to the other two you listed. It's a very articulate and very unique pup.

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

So, today I just got through building myself another guitar!

I've gone for a superstrat design. Its got an official floyd rose ready to go on there, maple neck through alder body wings and and ebony fret board.

So now I'm after pickups. I haven't routed the cavities yet, I wanted to leave them last.

What would you guys put in as pickups? I run ENGL power ball and Marshall TSL100 amps, but will mainly be used through a flextone III xl.

I wanna have a nice rounded singing lead sound. Think pure 80s style metal - think Skid Row type leads!!! Harmonics leaping off the fretboard and just really smooth. Rhythms sounds should be clear and articulate.

What do you guys reckon? Would prefer passive as I will be tuning to standard E with this one with a set of 9's.

Jon Sick

SKID ROW used the JB IIRC as well as most of the 80's guys also.

if you found the JB too "generic" try the

custom-custom or this pup,

Duncan Original Parallel Axis Trembucker

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

Been reading lots about all three of these pickups.

What do you reckon for the neck? (SC, SC sized Hum, or hum)

How is the PAF Pro in the bridge?

J

I have a PAF Pro in the neck of one of my guitars, and I really, really like it. It's bright and punchy, not too high output, very clear, and coil splits very well.

Archived