Why does Gibson put those super hot ceramic pickups in the LP Classics?

• Members

It doesn't make sense. They're supposed to be modeled after the early LP's, yet they have these modern, high gain ceramic pickups in them that are more conducive to modern rock/metal than classic rock. The Classics are just about the only LP I would ever want to own (I HATE flame, quilt, etc). But why the help those pickups? Even the 490's would be more suitable.

• Members

Les Pauls had PAFs from '57 to '60 when it changed to the SG shape. The 500T definitely isn't a PAF. I'm guessing they figured that the thinner, slim taper neck would appeal to hard rock/metal guys (not that you have to be one to appreciate it :) ).

Eh, just a guess.

• Members

I thought the Classic meant "classic rock style," meant to be like an old Les Paul's rebirth in the 70s. A recreation of someone buying a used LP in '77 and slapping in aftermarket Distortion pups. As in "Oh, that's classic, man."

I don't think they are to signify any vintage and historic characteristic with the name.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

I thought the Classic meant "classic rock style," meant to be like an old Les Paul's rebirth in the 70s. A recreation of someone buying a used LP in '77 and slapping in aftermarket Distortion pups. As in "Oh, that's classic, man."

I don't think they are to signify any vintage and historic characteristic with the name.

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it was marketed as a 1960 model for a while and even said '1960' on the pickguard.

lpcsebnh_wall.jpg

Archived