Do ebony fretboards need to be oiled?

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

My SG has an ebony board. Do you need to do any maintenence to it to prevent it from drying out/cracking/etc? I've heard about this "Guitar Honey" stuff. Would this stuff be beneficial for the ebony board and prevent cracking or drying?

keep the guitar in a stable environment from a humdidity perspective and that's better than any oil or prep.

• Members

I was looking into the Guitar Honey, but the description really doesn't talk about conditioning/moisturizing the fretboard. It really only mentions cleaning it and making it shiney.

Try it, you'll like it... :D

Guitar Honey

• Members

Oil? Oil?....we dont need no stinkn oil.

I am a bad guitar owner, I never oiled my guitar neck. I have had my studio Les Paul for many many years and it is just fine. I better get some oil on it quick before it drys up and cracks and disenagrates into a pile of ash and smoke. :D

• Members

I was looking into the Guitar Honey, but the description really doesn't talk about conditioning/moisturizing the fretboard. It really only mentions cleaning it and making it shiney.

"A unique blend of conditioning oils for rosewood, ebony, & other exotic woods." ;)

• Members

That's because truth be told, that is really all these preps do for the most part.

Archived