74 Gibson SG with mini-buckers

bluesboy

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a 1974 gibson sg with mini-buckers (like in a les paul deluxe). Any experience with these guitars? What is a reasonable price for such a guitar in nice 9-10 shape?

Thanks!

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

I have a chance to pick up a 1974 gibson sg with mini-buckers (like in a les paul deluxe). Any experience with these guitars? What is a reasonable price for such a guitar in nice 9-10 shape?

Thanks!

Some SGs sound thin with Humbuckers ..... I would almost hate to hear one with minis.

The plus side is, P90s sould be a drop in and P90s are great in a SG. :)

• Members

Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

Some SGs sound thin with Humbuckers ..... I would almost hate to hear one with minis.

The plus side is, P90s sould be a drop in and P90s are great in a SG.
:)

Yeah, most folks don't think much of the sounds Angus Young gets - too thin :rolleyes:

Really dude, I love P90s too, but c'mon ...

• Members

Man - that sounds like a really cool axe. I wish I could help you out with figures and tales of experience more, but ...

I've always thougt mini-hums in LP Dlxs were kinda in tele territory - country cleans and ballsy nasty dirties. I bet they sound awesome in the SGs, too.

• Members

I'va always kind of lusted after LP deluxes, but they're a bit out of my price range... I think this SG might be really really cool, but I never heard of them with mini-buckers which is why I'm leery.

• Members

Originally posted by bluesboy

LP deluxes on ebay go for around 1500 (or so I thought?) I hope to pick up this axe for 1000. It's from 1974, but in really really nice condition, everything original.

That doesn't seem too high on Dlxs, I guess. It's been a few years since I worked in a guitar shop, so I haven't paid a lot of attention to vintage pricing lately.

We had a 74 Dlx with a twisty neck overpriced at $1200 or so back then. It sounded awesome, and actually played very well despite the neck, which looked scary at certain angles. $1500 would seem fair for a nice condition Dlx, I guess.

$1000 ain't too bad for an SG, I don't think. A bit more than a new special, but pretty much guaranteed to appreciate if you don't trash it. Is the minihum the only thing holding ya back?

• Members

well... Im more concerned about "how much is too much" to pay for a guitar... I just have no way of knowing how much something like this is worth. i think it should be cheaper than an LP deluxe because SG's in general are a bit cheaper... I've never played a guitar with mini hums but I heard good things....

• Members

If it's in nice shape and all original like you said, that's a good buy, I think. Like I said, they're only going up in value, so even if that is a bit too much now (which I don't think), it'll catch up in a year or two anyway.

You can't lose, man.

• Members

Originally posted by jjpistols

Yeah, most folks don't think much of the sounds Angus Young gets - too thin
:rolleyes:

Really dude, I love P90s too, but c'mon ...

I am saying that because I bought a new SG Standard and compared it to my Les Paul back and forth for an hour and a half.

SG was thin, thin, thin :mad:

....... by itself, it sounded good, but the Les Paul spanked it. I took it back to the store for a refund. :(

Recently, I bought another SG with P90s. The Les Paul still has a fatter tone, but the P90s are so nice and dynamic it is hard to ignore. .......plus I love the feel of a SG !!! :cool:

......that will be all :o

Archived