Agile AL2500 & Epi Custom Refurb

kristyy

• Members

So, I went on a shopping spree and bought one of each. I originally purchased the Agile on April 20th while out on a business trip. It arrived last Thursday.

Somehow, impulse got the better of me (you guys call it GAS) when I noticed MF's refurbished Epi LP Customs. So out came the plastic for an ebony.

The winner... the Epi LP Custom. It has far better tone unplugged in comparison to the AL2500. It has no dead spots on the neck unlike the AL2500 which has some minor ones (I'm probably being picky here) that still eclipse what should be expected of a $200.

Some thoughts on the Agile:

1) The rounded horn is not noticed. However the headstock shape is and gives an appearance of being abit too elongated.

2) The neck was not dressed very well had had some buzzing on the low-E and A strings. The fret ends were still somewhat sharp.

3) Where did they get this cheap, black plastic nut that looks like someone used a handgrinder to shape?

4) The neck was not as level on the low-E side as it is on the high-E side. This is the most annoying item for me as I would sacrifice looks for neck perfection.

5) The side binding on the neck is pretty sharp and not rounded smooth. The skin on the side of my left thumb became sore quickly (I'm right handed).

6) Why was my fingers stained black from the fretboard after the first 20 minutes of playing????

7) The pots seem to only work in a very short range down around 2-4.

9) On the plus side, one cannot argue against a guitar with a bargain price. The ceramic pickups are better than expected as these are not bad at all.

10) Touching the cover of the toggle switch housing on the back causes crackling in the amp... odd.

10) Outside of the neck, the workmanship on the headstock and body are excellent. Only a few very minor flaws in the top coat which require specific inspection.

The Epi obviously had some professional setup and fret dress done by someone other than one on the manufacturing line. Intonation was right on (unlike the Agile which probably had a default setting).

I also don't like the bigger radius fretboards as we ( SO & I) are Fender folks with MIA, MIJ, MIM guitars. The Agile would be better for me if it had a 12" radius and ideally 10.5" one. Although I did not measure the Epi, it feels like a 12" radius.

The Epi is a factory refurbished and I cannot find a darn thing wrong that could give a clue about the refurbishing. The only clue is the "2nd" stamp on the backside of the headstock. BTW, this was made in the Saein factory in Korea. I think mentioning the Agile factory is undesired here.

In summary, the Epi was double the price, $400. But --- it is far more enjoyable for me to play and I prefer the tone. I'd say that the extra $200 was worth it in my case.

I would keep the Agile but my brother-in-law can use it more than I. He is starting to play guitar with his friends from school. It will get shipped off to him shortly. I just need to get our other siblings to kick-in some money as a bday present from all of us. I KNOW he will enjoy the Agile tremedously.

Now, I wonder how the AL3000M's are?????? I just have to make sure I'm home before the S.0. when the big brown truck arrives.

cheers

• Members

I got an AL2500 in blue pukeburst after a year of debating on getting an Agile. I thought it felt cheap but hey it was $200. It went back for an AL3000 and that damn thing is worth every penny. Judging an Agile by a 2500 is not fair. I've played tons of Epi's and also own a Tokai. The 3000 is as nice as my Tokai but I prefer the Tokai due to its smaller 59' neck. However the Tokai is $500 and the AL3000 is $369. If you could swing it, Kurt will take the 2500 back and I'd get the AL3000. It is SHOCKINGLY amazing.

What the hell is "SO"?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

I got an AL2500 in blue pukeburst after a year of debating on getting an Agile. I thought it felt cheap but hey it was $200. It went back for an AL3000 and that damn thing is worth every penny. Judging an Agile by a 2500 is not fair. I've played tons of Epi's and also own a Tokai. The 3000 is as nice as my Tokai but I prefer the Tokai due to its smaller 59' neck. However the Tokai is $500 and the AL3000 is $369. If you could swing it, Kurt will take the 2500 back and I'd get the AL3000. It is SHOCKINGLY amazing.

What the hell is "SO"?

Your blue pukeburst is now hanging on the "issue wall".

Yeah, it's pukey looking in person.

• Members

Originally posted by Bbreaker

Your blue pukeburst is now hanging on the "issue wall".

Yeah, it's pukey looking in person.

If you see it again.....punch it in the balls.....or just punch it. :D

Kevman where are you?

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

Judging an Agile by a 2500 is not fair.

I think she was rating the AL2500 on its own merits, not the entire product line. That said, you (kristyy) went over that guitar very well. I usually decide whether I like a guitar by how playable it is (which seems to me like a subjective thing), and then by kind of moving into noticing the little things about it. By the time the GAS attack wears off, then I can really see if I like or love the guitar.

I was initially really pumped about my AL2800, and I loved it then. I've had it over a month now and still reach for it constantly (over a couple of other very good contenders sometimes). That's a big thumbs up in my book.

Great review, though. :)

P.S. You will come to call it GAS too. :D

//S

• Members

So the Epi's are made in the Saein factory. Is that why we don't get Shine guitars in the US? Does Gibson/ Epiphone have a deal that keeps them from marketing directly to the US?

I've looked at their website before and thought that the guitars looked pretty nice. I know they've been at NAMM on their own, though. What's up with that?

• Members

So you're saying the $400 Epi is better than the $200 Agile. Hm...stunning news.

In other news, my buddy's $2000 Ibanez Jem is better than my $300 Ibanez SA 160. I don't know, I just like it more, seems to be better.

• Members

I think that the 2500 series guitars aren't as nice as they were 2 years ago....Not just the horn change but overall quality drop. The 2500's that came out then were probably more along the lines in build quality of the higher series today and at the lower price. That's how Agile built it's reputation. Nowdays I might order up a harm-1 and swap out pickups with some GFS type but other than that I feel the Agile thing has played itself out.

• Members

Originally posted by harold heckuba

This has to be a record. It is only this guys second post and he is already doing an Agile comparison.

Probably been lurking for awhile, and has seen all the Agile vs. XXX threads. Good review!

• Members

Cool review, however it is not apples to apples. The Epi LP Custom is arguably thier top dog in that line and the AL-2500 is the bottom in it's respective line (was until the AL-2000). One cost $200 new and the other cost $400 used/refurb'd. I would say a better comparison would be between the Epi LP Custom and the Agile AL-3000. FWIW, I have an AL-2500 and it does have some cosmetic issues but it's definitely cool for what it is. I would buy an Epi Custom in a second if it had an ebony board. :)

Archived