Surprise B-Day Gift; EPI LP Custom

OldFenderGuy

• Members

My B-Day was a week or so ago, and I just found out today that my brothers chipped in and bought me a Black Epi Les Paul Custom and matching SKB case... :eek:

It's in the mail as we speak, and should be here no later than Wednesday....

I spent a few hours today reading a "BAZillion" user reviews, and they seem to have a very high satisfaction rating.... Not sure if the Gold Hardware will grow on me, but it is very Classy looking, and could always be changed if I wanted... And they actually have a 'full sized' 1.68" string nut, which is great news for me..

Many of you out there own one of these? If so what do you think?? I looked at a few pictures of them to get an idea of what to expect, and they look very nice....

Here is a picture I "borrowed" off an EBay Auction. Hopefully the owner won't mind me using it for an example.... :cool:

epicustom20.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by OldFenderGuy

My B-Day was a week or so ago, and I just found out today that my brothers chipped in and bought me a
Black
Epi Les Paul Custom and matching SKB case...
:eek:

It's in the mail as we speak, and should be here no later than Wednesday....

I spent a few hours today reading a "BAZillion" user reviews, and they seem to have a very high satisfaction rating.... Not sure if the Gold Hardware will grow on me, but it is very Classy looking, and could always be changed if I wanted... And they actually have a 'full sized' 1.68" string nut, which is great news for me..

Many of you out there own one of these? If so what do you think?? I looked at a few pictures of them to get an idea of what to expect, and they look
very
nice....

Here is a picture I "borrowed" off an EBay Auction. Hopefully the owner won't mind me using it for an example....
:cool:

epicustom20.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by batotman

LOL......oh god the irony....lol.

Hope u didn't order the Tokai already then....lol.

The Epi LP Customs are pretty nice players, made in Korea. Too bad I never get good gifts
:(

:D

I'm going to hold off on the Tokai until I see how like the LP Custom.... Never know, this might be (as they say) The One. :cool:

Don't feel bad about not getting good gifts, this is the first B-Day present they have given me in years.. Guess they were saving their pennies...

From what I understand these only come in White and Black, so at least they chose the right color. :D

• Members

MAn....awesome gift. I have one identical to it and it has become my main axe so I don't have to take my Gibsons LP Custom out of the house as much for gigs.

Put some tens on it, get a good all around setup done, and this guitar will amaze you! (D'Addario 10's feel sweet on this axe with a good setup!!)

Yeah, the gold wears off. The gold on my stop bar is mostly gone due to the fact that I rest my hand on it. Actually, it's just between the two mounting screw tops...kinda cool looking really.

Awesome guitar man....and you can't beat the price.... :D

Brandon

• Members

Originally posted by cage77

MAn....awesome gift. I have one identical to it and it has become my main axe so I don't have to take my Gibsons LP Custom out of the house as much for gigs.

Put some tens on it, get a good all around setup done, and this guitar will amaze you! (D'Addario 10's feel sweet on this axe with a good setup!!)

Yeah, the gold wears off. The gold on my stop bar is mostly gone due to the fact that I rest my hand on it. Actually, it's just between the two mounting screw tops...kinda cool looking really.

Awesome guitar man....and you can't beat the price....

Brandon

Thanks for the information, and the more reviews I read the more I am looking towards receiving this guitar....

First thing I'll do is have my guitar guy perform a complete setup, and I'll give the D'Addario 10's a try....

Have you made any major modifications (pickups/hardware) or are you running yours in 'stock condition'?

• Members

Thanks for the information, and the more reviews I read the more I am looking towards receiving this guitar....

First thing I'll do is have my guitar guy perform a complete setup, and I'll give the D'Addario 10's a try....

Have you made any major modifications (pickups/hardware) or are you running yours in 'stock condition'?

Have him make a nut while you're at it. The stock plastic one sucks big time. Congrats on the nice guitar

• Members

I run mine stock, not even a new nut (although next setup I'm thinking about bone or graphite...no reall reason, just want to give it a try). The stock pups are great, even under high gain settings on my Marshall JCM 2000 TSL 100's.

Based off of your moniker, I assume that you're a Fender/25.5 scale length guy. The LP scale mgiht take a while to get used to, but you'll rally dig the feel and tone.

Out of curiosity, and continuing with your moniker, are you familiar with Gibsons Hawk line? All mahognay, set necks, 25.5 scale. Sweet guitars.....

Brandon

• Members

Happy Birthday and congrats also OFG. I have only played my son's burst model, but I have to say I was impressed with it. I tried it thru all 3 of my amps and the stock pups sounded really good to me but hey, different strokes. Congrats again. If my brothers are reading this (and I'm sure they are not) I WANT ONE. LOL.

• Members

Originally posted by 69lespaul

Happy Birthday and congrats also OFG. I have only played my son's burst model, but I have to say I was impressed with it. I tried it thru all 3 of my amps and the stock pups sounded really good to me but hey, different strokes. Congrats again. If my brothers are reading this (and I'm sure they are not) I WANT ONE. LOL.

I've been doing a 'crash course', going through internet sites and trying to digest as much information as I can dealing with the guitar..

As I can say is that the Epi LP Custom seems to receive a lot of positive comments... :cool:

I can't seem to find anything dealing with neck radius though. Anyone happen to know what it is??

• Members

Originally posted by Fallen Angel

Have him make a nut while you're at it. The stock plastic one sucks big time. Congrats on the nice guitar

The only thing you'll need to change on it is the nut IMO. I had one and it was a great guitar except for the nut. I wasn't a fan of the pickups either but that's up to opinion I guess.....so I swapped them out for Dimarzios.....wasn't hard to get that thing sounding great.

• Members

Congratulations on the Birthday present OFG. It is really great to get something like that as a surprise, I know, I about {censored} my pants when my wife got me the Fender Showmaster for my birthday this year. I have a Black and Gold LP and it just looks so damned classy.......Good on you Bro. Oh yeah, Happy Birthday to you too.

• Members

Originally posted by IdaCrue

I have a Black and Gold LP and it just looks so damned classy.......Good on you Bro.

I wasn't sure how I would feel about the "black/gold" combination, as I have usually had "black/chrome" in the past...

But after looking at many pictures the gold hardware with black finish is really starting to look good. As you said, very classy looking...

epicustom24.jpg

• Members

I remember wanting one of those so bad in 97 but went with a LTD Horizon. Still wouldn't mind one if they weren't so blasted expensive new.

If I don't like it I'll sell it to you for $150.00...

Just Kidding!! :D:p

• Members

I remember wanting one of those so bad in 97 but went with a LTD Horizon. Still wouldn't mind one if they weren't so blasted expensive new. The VSB flametop calls to me.....

Hey bato, I know how much you love the look of mine. Just took a group pic the other day and it was giving off such a beautiful flame from that angle. Figured I would blow the image up for you to see. Straight on it doesn't give off much flame, more like a plain-top. This angle really shows it though.

EpiLp2.jpg

• Members

If I don't like it I'll sell it to you for $150.00...

Just Kidding!!
:D:p

Awww c'mon, you know you want to....:D

Of course you'd probably have to arrest your own brothers cuz they'd kick ur ass if u did that......LOL....:D

hardtc: Thats the one I like! :cool: I only worry about the gold tarnishing as do 99% of gold hardware equipped guitars.

Archived