Flame extinguished...

Jkater

• Members

man, that's some crappy wood they used, a poor flame job. it makes a "V" up on top and below the bridge it's all {censored}ed up. in fact, on the left side it looks like there's no flame at all in some spots

plus it's not bound, makes it look cheap

• Members

The lack of binding bugs me a bit as well, but I think it's the viewing angle again, if you'd turn it to the other side it'd propably look similar to the more flamed side.

The same happens on my Fenix LP, but to a bit lesser degree and it also doesn't have that "one side flamed, the other not so much" effect.

fenix_les_paul_custom-01.jpgfenix_les_paul_custom-09.jpg

My Cort Artisan bass is similar, it can look almost plain from some angles.

cort_artisan-01.jpgcort_artisan-02.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by '56Goldtop

It's a beauty.
:cool:

Thanks. :)

It's a nice top, I think. Of course, for that disappearing act of the flames, I had to find that one small angle where it does happen to the extent of pic # 2. The flame is visible just about all the time. It's just odd that it can dissappear at all, hence my question on my first post.

As I mentionned to you in another thread, I'm not crazy about the colour of the finish. Some may like it but I don't. I'd wish for the gorgeous sunburst of LaXu's fenix LP but that would be difficult to achieve so I'm thinking of a natural finish with wood binding added as I go. You already know the other issues (fretwork, etc.). That guitar has some really good things going for it and I'm contemplating major surgery to make it perfect for me.

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

Thanks.
:)

It's a nice top, I think. Of course, for that disappearing act of the flames, I had to find that one small angle where it does happen to the extent of pic # 2. The flame is visible just about all the time. It's just odd that it can dissappear at all, hence my question on my first post.

As I mentionned to you in another thread, I'm not crazy about the colour of the finish. Some may like it but I don't. I'd wish for the gorgeous sunburst of LaXu's fenix LP but that would be difficult to achieve so I'm thinking of a natural finish with wood binding added as I go. You already know the other issues (fretwork, etc.). That guitar has some really good things going for it and I'm contemplating major surgery to make it perfect for me.

I almost wish you'd sell it, and buy something else so that the original finish could be maintained. Once you change it, it won't be a Gary Moore LP anymore.

I know you can do what you want with it...but I'm just weird that way. :D

• Members

Originally posted by '56Goldtop

I almost wish you'd sell it, and buy something else so that the original finish could be maintained. Once you change it, it won't be a Gary Moore LP anymore.

I know you can do what you want with it...but I'm just weird that way.
:D

I do see your point and it might very well happen. To sell it is an option but it would depend on how much I could get for it. The thing that the pics don't show is that there are quite a few dings and scratches. It is far from mint. I still have all the original parts to make it a GM LP again (the pup's were changed to '57 classics, I changed the tail piece to a fine-tuning one and I changed the trussrod cover plate to a plain one, just my taste). If I was to sell it , I'd just put back all the parts back so it could appeal to someone who wants this particular model in its original state.

Before doing anything, I would weight carefully the chances of it turning out the way I want. And that's worth considering depending on the cost. I have a friend in Canada who's built four guitars including an archtop jazz box. I would work with him on that project if I decide to go ahead. It wouldn't be a Gary Moore anymore but it might become a pretty cool looking LP!

I don't know if the Gary Moore LP is so special. When it came out, the hype was about the Burst buckers that is now found on every LP Std. Other than that, what is it? A studio plus with a MOP gibson logo and a 50's neck. It was priced too high because of the signature thing so the resale value isn't as good as usual for a Gibson (interesting side note : Gary Moore wanted this guitar to be affordable, so he opted for an unbound neck and body LP. The thing is, though, Gibson seem to have kept the saving for themselves as this guitar was hardly any cheaper than a standard when it came out. ).

• Members

Originally posted by LaXu

My Cort Artisan bass is similar, it can look almost plain from some angles.

cort_artisan-01.jpgcort_artisan-02.jpg

Thanks for the input. I see it has a similar effect. Maybe it is normal.

I like how subtle the figuring on this bass is. Is this a neck-through? Normal scale?

• Members

Originally posted by The Dark Horse

I like a bound neck but I think a maple top guitar looks damn sexy without binding.

lpdc_tr3.jpg

Nice guitar. That guitar stand looks pretty dangerous for a guitar with the cable plugged in...

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

I like how subtle the figuring on this bass is. Is this a neck-through? Normal scale?

Yup, neckthru it is and normal scale as well. The neck is made of wenge and maple and the body is solid figured maple. Older model, replaced by one with different electronics and body/headstock shape.

Archived