Would you take Agile over Kramer?

scrapdizzy

• Members

I'm not going to get into the "cheesy" image thing but there was a time when Kramer guitars were a bad word in the NJ and NY area. I'm talking about the original Kramers that came from or through the Neptune, NJ plant.

There were numerous bad blood issues between dealers and Kramer. Kramer was poorly managed. I don't know all the dirty details, but when Kramer finally closed it's doors, Kramer guitars were extremely inexpensive and you couldn't get a good price if you wanted to sell.

Recently, original Neptune, NJ Kramers are something of a cult thing and viewed as being desireable. I never thought that these Kramers were that bad but I never thought that they were as good as some might think.

There's a few interesting Kramer designs or........designs of those that Kramer used. One design was the Steve Ripley model.

The S.R. model had a single Bartolini active pick up; Floyd Rose trem; single volume and tone controls; stereo and a pan pot for each string. There were other Ripley designs but most of them incorporated the pan pot set up.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

After those metal neck things didn't catch on like Kramer thought, they went the super strat route. These super strats pretty much were Stratocasters with a Floyd Rose locking trem; 1 volume control and 1 humbucker. If you didn't want to carve up your favorite 70's heavy Stratocaster, there was Kramer. The Focus line was an import. The Striker line was a less expensive import. With all this going on, it seems that many of the later Kramer super strats were actually made by ESP.

I was told that this one of 2 made in this color were most likely made by ESP.

• Members

I have 2 of the Music Yo Kramers. A Tele Style, and a Nightrider. And a guitar made from parts of an original focus 3000 Kramer.

The tele is great, ons of my favorites, the Nightrider, never grew on me.

Th old one, man that thing has soul, and plays like butter.

• Members

Originally posted by AtomHeartMother

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, B.B. King, SRV...

These guys didn't lock themselves in their bedrooms of their mommas house and practice scales all day and your guys' little cheesy 80's guitarists couldn't even touch the skill and influence these players had over guitarists and non-guitarists alike. I doubt these guys barely even know a drop of theory and make those 80's guitarists look like nerds that try too hard to impress people.

I rest my case.

So what if they locked themselves in a room and practiced? They got the rewars for thir hard work didn't they? Recording contracts, money fame etc etc. Don't BS me by saying that BB King, Clapton etc didn't spend considerable hours practicing. Without the 80's guys there would be no progression of guitar technique, no progression of guitar technology. take for instance the FR versus the vintage style trem, a FR rarely if ever goes out of tune when divebombing. If Hendrix had that technology available to him would he be able to use the trem to its max potential? Most likely, if you ever see a vid of him live he's constantly retuning his guitar.

• Members

Hendrix, Page, Clapton, B.B. King, SRV...

These guys didn't lock themselves in their bedrooms of their mommas house and practice scales all day and your guys' little cheesy 80's guitarists couldn't even touch the skill and influence these players had over guitarists and non-guitarists alike. I doubt these guys barely even know a drop of theory and make those 80's guitarists look like nerds that try too hard to impress people.

I rest my case.

I thought it was part of Clapton's legend that he did, in effect, lock himself in his room to learn to play. I heard this story back in the '70s.

John

• Members

and I wanna see a pic of that troll too. Me thinks he himself is a little pale, zitty white nerd, that should be thanking the gods, should he receive 0,00001% of the female attention that Randy Rhoads, Warren DeMartini, George Lynch and Eddie van Halen received.

• Members

Originally posted by scrapdizzy

New versions im talking here...newer Beretta (
www.musicyo.com
) vs a newer Agile (rondomusic.net).

What is your vote and who gets your $250?

well in my case it would be who gets my $370 and this is the result

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3000prest.html

i am sorry but these things have to be bought and played to be believed:eek:

it takes on my $3000 gibby LP custom:eek:

yeah i am shocked as YOU!:)

• Members

Originally posted by babylon_drifter

Ive gone with Kramer after playing a few agiles I just dont dig the les paul look anymore, everybody and there mom plays LP's and copies, I dig the tone of coarse so I took a blind dive and bought this:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=571

If they offered that in a lefty version, I'd hit it. I bought a HSH lefty Striker with a maple/maple neck 3 years ago from Musicyo and I'm still playing it. Replaced the electronics and the pups, but that was just me being picky. The Striker was a decent player right out of the box. Floyd works great, stays in tune and intonation. A great axe for the money to be sure.

:cool:

• Members

Originally posted by ExtraGum

BUT I think licensed Floyds have a pretty limited life-span.

Soft metal = dull knife's edges.

Actually the FRs on them are one of the better copies out there. I only had a problem with a few stripped screws which I replaced($2) and the guitars have served me very well through gigs and everything.

The electronics are good too.

• Members

If you're into cheesy 80's metal: Kramer

If you play good music: Agile

I'm very pro-Agile; been gassing for one now for about 3 months, but I have to disagree with your generalization about the Kramers. I put a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck of my Striker, replaced the pots and filter caps and I now can get a very nice blues vibe, classic rock vibe and even a decent jazz vibe out of it. The Quad rails are limited to be sure, but they do a fair job with the classic rock vibe at the very least. And they also do pretty good with the cheezy 80's vibe.

:cool:

• Members

BTW: You guys with your cheesy ass Kramers and 80's music are the ones that make playing guitar perceived as uncool. You've turned playing guitar from being something badass guys do to something skinny, pasty white nerdy guys do up in there bedrooms pretending to tap like EVH. You've turned guitar into the next Dungeons and Dragons. Thanks.

Since when was playing guitar something only "badass" guys did? And what the hell is a "badass" guy anyway? You should get out more. Guitar players like any other group have always and will always include a wide range of personality types. I would hardly consider people like Carlos Santana, Frank Zappa, Eric Clapton, John McLaughlin, Steve Vai, Satch, Tony Iommi, or David Gilmour to be "badass" guys.

Just my $.02... :cool:

Archived