american deluxe question

• Members

It's the S1 switch. On my American HSS model, it does coil tapping and also gives you other pickup combinations you wouldn't ordinarily get on the regular 5-way, such as all three pickups engaged at once. So instead of 5 tones, you get more like 9 or 10.

~Blackbelt

• Members

To be honest, I thought the S-1 switching was a marketing gimmick until I got some solid play time in with my American Deluxe (purchased new about 6 weeks ago, tobacco burst, rosewood board, S-S-S, with a LSR roller nut installed by my shop here in town shortly after I bought it.) Now I'm surprised it took Fender so long to do it. In addition to the "standard 5" tones you get out of a regular Strat, you pick up another 2 or 3 really nice usable tones. I like it when I'm playing high gain - I'll kick in the S-1 on the bridge pickup for rhythm so I get a chunky "faux humbucker" thing going and then take the S-1 back out for leads on the bridge pickup so I cut through better. Good idea and vastly preferable (from my experience) to a mini-togggle or a push-pull pot.

Archived